• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mixture of TKD and Shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am currently studying both Shotokan and am a TKD BB (ITF) as mentioned by Jiffy and have just moved in to WTF Taekwondo.

I find that the WTF style im doing now and the shotokan go very well together. As someone mentioned shotokan has a lot of hand strikes while TKD has a lot of kicks, but the good part is that the moves they do have in common (low blocks, body blocks, front kicks, sidekicks etc) are pretty much the same.

this is good because you wont find yourself at karate class doing TKD stuff (ITF is a different story tho as the club i was at had some differences to the karate (and WTF) im doing now, which isnt doing me any favours)

about taekwondo and shotokan being similar, from what i have read, tae kwon do is loosely based on an ancient korean sport done by different tribes etc etc (like most arts) but it also seems that the japanese were a major part in korean history, and its only a recent thing that taekwondo became formalised as basically the taekkyon kicks (all those high flying things you see) and shotokan striking.

if you google tae kwon do shotokan history you will get a lot of info about it.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu