• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this good or bad?

Is marketing karate or martial arts to children via a toy or hobby store, sending the right message about learning without proper guidance?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is marketing karate or martial arts to children via a toy or hobby store, sending the right message about learning without proper guidance?

• Yes, without a doubt.
    • No, not at all.
    • Only the future will tell.

There is a suttle difference i learn form videos and books etc to become a better martial artist these people dont have a background therefore they will not be able to just learn it. All martial arts and prodominantly the same all use the hands and feet. They will not be able to learn if they are untrained. A trained person will use this a a valuable resource you cannot learn from a book with no background. essentially i dont buy anything unless its good and that sounds rubbish

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, as one of the earlier posts said (in essence), put it on the shelf, and they will come. The meaning of 'black belt' varies widely, of course, just as the quality of a college granting degrees can vary widely, and even the educational experience of two people graduating together can be worlds apart. Let's face it, it's up to the individual to make any achievement just that.

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

but to tell you the truth I really didn't like it it is giveing a false idea to peaple who will be inpressed with a black belt who's training was thirty minutes long?

"There is no bad student only bad teacher"

• 2 weeks later...

30 min video + BB. I think this is a complete crap.

I agree that movie may instill the curiosity for martial arts, but here we have a different thing... this is a MA course (in 30 minutes) and a sort of diploma (a black belt). This is a complete fraud.

On one hand, it might get the kids interested in martial arts and result in their parents taking them to local studios to see the real thing which they may end up liking. It's another promo vehicle for martial arts even though it might not be the real messages we want to get across. But is is like PR for us. It gets them to notice at least.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

Is it all that much different from the cheap badge and plastic gun that someone gave me when I was young? It said "cop" on the package, but I knew that just because I had a plastic gun, badge, etc. I wasn't a cop. It was kind of like dress up. If someone had given me this and I had watched the video and put on a belt, I would have known I wasn't a real "karate guy". If people can play cop, why not karate man? I don't practice the martial arts, but I'm not a cop, either. I know that the cheap cop set didn't say "become a cop in 30 minutes", but it may as well have. Doesn't really bother me, personally.

Funny story... I was watching TV (couple months ago, I think) and I saw the commercial for this or something like this. It was clearly a toy, etc. but it said that it came with a black belt, video, etc. And the first thought that came to mind was "man, there are some people on KF that would not be very pleased about that." lol.