• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So I was told that without weights (2 part question)

Ryokeen

Whoever told me I'd eventually stop getting stronger if I didn't use weights is evil, becuase yes you do continually grow stronger without weights..

ANYWAYS.

How much training is to much? Or is there no such thing...

Something you'll need to know about me, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to martial arts. If the techniques not right I'll excuse my self to a corner of the room and work on it untill it is perfect.

Anywho,

I was just woundering, if it was bad to continually daily work your body. Except ofcourse on Sunday the day of rest.

Becuase my goals aren't like most 15 year olds. Blackbelts? Oh no my goals are MUCH higher. Worldchampionships, nationals, opening own school,

it's all in the mix of my goals. I AM NOT going to achieve these goals training ONE part of my body every other day. There's way to much I have to learn and perfect and commit.

So I was just woundering,

for a 15 year old, with bassically a dojo at his disposal,

is there such thing as to much training?

Several times I've found my self going past exhuation. Not becuase I'm dumb, but becuase I want to be the best I can, and I KNOW somewhere out there... even as I type some kid is training to be a world champion too and I don't want to look back at all the time I wasted. My body has grown use to it and it's taking a LOT more for it to get tired now, or atleast it seems like it.

40 hours a week is my first goal.

My school breaks 12 hrs a day will have martial arts with friends and such ofcourse.

Okay,

Thank you for your time,

Aaron Grosch

Needing to focus...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aaron-

Yes, it is important for you to take breaks from working muscles. Muscles NEED 24-72 hours to recover from really intensive workouts. The ache you feel after a workout is lactic acid that has pooled in the muscles, and that takes time to work its way out of the tissue.

2nd - You have a long time in the MA. I'm not trying in any way to dampen your enthusiasm, but it's sounding a little more like an obsession, and those don't usually last. Even top level bodybuilders and other athletes aren't training 40 hours a week. That is just too much stress on the body with little recovery time.

Also, if you work too much, you can induce a condition (I forget the name) where your muscles stop recovering and basically eat themselves, and you start losing connective/vital tissue such as intestines, blood vessels, etc.

However, you know your body best, and if you are thriving on this, more power to you! I would go to a nutritionist, explain what you are doing as far as training, and work out a good diet and supplementation plan. Especially considering how much training you are doing and planning on doing you will need to pay very close attention to nutrition.

Dreams and aspirations are great, but you want to be able to enjoy them when you get there, too. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Aaron-

Yes, it is important for you to take breaks from working muscles. Muscles NEED 24-72 hours to recover from really intensive workouts. The ache you feel after a workout is lactic acid that has pooled in the muscles, and that takes time to work its way out of the tissue.

2nd - You have a long time in the MA. I'm not trying in any way to dampen your enthusiasm, but it's sounding a little more like an obsession, and those don't usually last. Even top level bodybuilders and other athletes aren't training 40 hours a week. That is just too much stress on the body with little recovery time.

Also, if you work too much, you can induce a condition (I forget the name) where your muscles stop recovering and basically eat themselves, and you start losing connective/vital tissue such as intestines, blood vessels, etc.

However, you know your body best, and if you are thriving on this, more power to you! I would go to a nutritionist, explain what you are doing as far as training, and work out a good diet and supplementation plan. Especially considering how much training you are doing and planning on doing you will need to pay very close attention to nutrition.

Dreams and aspirations are great, but you want to be able to enjoy them when you get there, too. :D

Aodhan

As usual you're right. Haha, maybe that's that feeling of can't move my arm, the acid lol.

It's not an obsession I just make it sound like it is. lol.

I swear. :lol:

Just a desire to get better.

I want to get better, the best I can get... but it's not worth ym body being useless...

So what would you suggest?

Mom's done studies in nutrition and such for College so I'll talk to her about it.

Thanks!

Needing to focus...

As usual you're right. Haha, maybe that's that feeling of can't move my arm, the acid lol.

It's not an obsession I just make it sound like it is. lol.

I swear. :lol:

Just a desire to get better.

I want to get better, the best I can get... but it's not worth ym body being useless...

So what would you suggest?

Mom's done studies in nutrition and such for College so I'll talk to her about it.

Thanks!

I would talk with your instructor, your mom, a good coach at your school, and outline a training program. Let them know your goals, and what you are willing to do (Have a more specific thought than "anything"), and a timeline that you would like to follow.

Look on the web, and note when some of the bigger tournaments in your style are, and if you can afford to go and either watch/compete. Videotape everything, yourself included. Watching video is a great way to pick apart your own form.

If you can, get all the videos you can from past Worlds, Olympics, Nationals, etc etc. in your style. Study the moves, everything. If you can manage it, get videotape of your current opponents at tournaments. If they progress as you do, they will be your most likely opponents down the line.

Pick a day a week where you do nothing (Such as Sunday, it sounds like you have a religious background), and also pick some things to do each week that are not MA related.

Once or twice a year, take a complete break for a couple weeks. Don't train very much, relax, vacation, swim, whatever. Just don't do MA for a couple weeks. That will help keep it fresh.

Be prepared for the tough times. There are times when you won't feel at all like going to the dojangh, there will be times when you just "won't get it", times when you are off your game and get absolutely waxed at a tourney. You will forget your form at a tourney. If you're ready for it, you can just learn from it and keep going.

Keep a diary. There are a lot of times I've been stuck with something, and gone back and looked at stuff I've written, and things will click. Also, find a good friend that will support you, and share your thoughts, doubts, etc. with him/her. It will make it easier as well.

Keep us posted!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Aaron-

Aodhan

Great advice!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Aodhan for member of the year. -Holds up a picket sign-

Sounds like a plan, a VERY good plan. Oh and beleive me I've dabbled with that whole, "I can't do it, Idon't think I'll go today" ect thing a few times. I never thought of video taping, and looking for video recordings.

I could even use that downstairs in my "Made up dojo". Just get out the tripod and run through my forms, point spar with some friends and what not.

I'd be very naive if I didn't go to nationals, reginal, tri-state ect ect when at all possible. Limiting my self to those in Ohio won't show me all the talent possible; however there a quiet a few Masters in Ohio who produce amazing students, but there are also 1,000's of other schools out there each with thier own "secret weapon".

I'll talk to my mom, and read up on proper nutrition for the physically active person. I have a 700 page(?) nutrition book that goes into detail on nutrition for every kind fo person. So I should probably read that. Seeing as how it has morer than any non-nutritionist would care to read... I think it's a book from OSU State for Nutritionists. :)

Thanks for everything,

Looking back at the post I already feel dumb... :P

-Aaron

Needing to focus...