• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started karate at 43 now I'm almost 45 and enjoy it. I'm the oldest in the dojo (older then all the instructors) but this is almost never a big problem, if you cannot go at the young grasshopper's pace, just slow instructors will understand.

I've found that the guys in their 40's, though fewer in number, are among the hardest hitting, scrappiest fighters in the dojo. Maybe it's because they're that much closer to the grave, and therfore more desperate to hang on tooth and nail. By the time you're in your 50's, you should be far in the front of the line, preceded only by your reputation and surrounded by an aura of invincibility. In your sixties, an army of yudansha are at your beck and call ready to dispatch your enemies. In your 70's, your steady gaze drives off your foes just as the noon-day sun dispels the morning mist.

Too old? You haven't even started.

• 1 month later...

You would by no means the oldest beginner in karate history. I have had the pleasure of training alongside several fellow karateka who did not take the plunge until after 40, and even after 50. Almost to a person, they have stuck around long enough to make a Dan ranking (black belt) Most of them have even stayed on long enough to achieve 2nd Dan and still actively train. One lady, who began in her late 40s, went on to competition success and to become an assistant instructor. I even knew a man who started taking karate after he was 70. Granted, there was a lot that he couldn't do that he probably could have done if he started earlier in life, but practicing karate certainly added years to his life and life to his years. He was able to give up his cane, which he sometimes needed before training.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

I started training when I was 41. I had never done any other style. My oldeest son is a 2nd Dan in Taekwondo and is now a first dan like me in Ashihara. As long as you dont push youself to much and only do what you can do and not causing yourself any injuries then all I can say is go for it. Have fun .

• 2 weeks later...

hi i'm now 46 and about to take black belt in october. I always thought i was too old but in the end thought what the hell you only live once. I'm fitter and calmer than my family remember me being and i'vemade some really great friends. Go for it what have you got to lose

• 2 weeks later...