• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training when ill/sick?

Well here comes my opinion. If you want to do the very best at your martial are, and many other activities, you need to learn how to listen to what your body is telling you. Sometimes when you are not sure what to do getting quiet and listening to what is going on inside of you can be very useful.

One test we had there was a sudden outburst of stomach problems and some kind of flu. One kid barfed all over the place and the flood gates came open. All the next quarter there was round after round of bugs that got passed around.

Make sure you think of your classmates and training partners. It is amazing how quickly thing, germy things can get passed around.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've only worked out while sick twice. Both times I had a slight fever (NO NAUSEA), and when I came out my fever was gone. But boy did I suffer while I was there.

I guess you could say I did what Sai suggested. I was a little ill, but knew I could do it with a little extra determination. If I had been any worse off, I wouldn't have gone.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Well when i am sick it depends how bad it is if it is really bad then it is best to say at home :nod: but if it isn't it might be good to go or not.

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

It's probably wise to let your body heal when you're sick. HOwever, if you train while you're sick, you'll learn to strengthen your mind..It shows heart^^

My master was at a General choi's seminar the other month. General choi is very sick and was literally on his death bed. Although he was not physically fit, he showed heart and came to teach the seminar. It was just inspiring to see him come in on a wheel chair with an I.V attached to him. he got up and taught all the black belts that came to see him. wow. NOw this is commitment!

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• 4 weeks later...

For the last week, I have had severe allergies. I took the last three days off because I didn't want to miss today's national open competition. I struggled through the preliminaries in the sparring competition, and when I reached the last fight, I didn't have much endurance left. Three days in bed took it's toll; final score 3-2. Should I have done at least SOME exercise??? tough call... :sad:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

You did well Ti, considering. Just be glad you didn't have the runny nose + spinning kick combination :wink:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

I think that when you are sick it is all relative. If you really listen closely to what your body has to say as you train through various stages of illness, then you will be able to better determine when you CAN train depending on how you feel. So the next time you feel under the proverbial axe kick, you'll know how your body will react. I agree with everyone else in saying that safety should be your first concern, for yourself and others. That doesn't mean you can't train at home or with someone else who is sick though on those days where you just gotta kick/punch/throw/choke someone! :bigwink:

" If a tin whistle is made of tin, is hook kick made from a hook?"

MBP