• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training when ill/sick?

This is probably either a topic that has already been brought up before or something that people probably didn't think was significant to bring up in the first place but anyways hehe.

Is it good to train when you have a mild sickness such as the flu or a cold for about a week? Most of us would not want to remain stagnate and like a human vegetable just to wait for ourselves to heal since as martial artists we naturally want and feel like moving around and using up some energy! LOL

My instructor has expressed his disapproval at sick students participating in classes since this would provide a sort of uh undesired 'sharing-the-wealth- effect, and that I could probably understand. But I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to how much should you train (full capacity, almost full capacity? etc.) when you are feeling under the weather. Is it okay and good to train to full capacity even if you feel up to it and able despite your condition? Could training while sick actually be beneficial in terms of strengthening and putting your body through hard work in a time when your body is somewhat weakened? Anyways, discuss away, :razz: :razz:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have some sort of cold, flu or congestion I've found that exercise often helps if you can actually make yourself do it.

An ancient cold remedy passed on to me went something like this.

First, eat plenty of chillies - watch this clear up your sinuses like nothing else. You'll use a lot of tissues, but it works. Plus all peppers are high in vitamin C.

Then, do a strenuous workout. A martial arts class should do fine :smile:

Finally some meditation and deep breathing excercises.

At the end of this you will feel a lot better and your breathing will feel much clearer and easier than if you'd sat in bed popping various drugs.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Heh, I was lumbered with flu for 2 weeks not long ago... as a result of trying to weightlift with a dry cough. :lol:

Some gentle exercise may be ok, and light stretching once or twice a day is important, but personally I wouldn't recomend strenuous exercise - your body is trying to heal from an illness, don't lumber it with more hardships! Use this time for other aspects, like meditation, light stretching, balance (standing on one leg, both on balls of feet, eyes closed, slow kicks, etc.) hand/eye coordination (throwing pingpong ball against the wall and trying to catch it) and rest plenty. If you feel creative, do some art or writing... there are plenty of things to do that can benefit you whilst ill. Take a step back from the physical side of MAs and work on the mental. :smile: :up:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

when you have the flu all your white blood cells are attacking the virus but if you are sick with a cold/flu your white blood cells have to repair all the damaged muscle tissue and so on......therefor if you are still working out with a flu/cold expect to be sick for a little while longer because the virus isnt being attacked by as much white blood cells as it can be

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

Hiya Spin.

I have trained with colds, and the flu. The problem training with the flu is, I couldn't breath! lol I was suckin wind with just simple techniques :???: I wouldn't advise it. Not to mention (like you said) sharing-the-wealth. And the aches and pains, and lack of energy .... not a pretty sight.

Colds for me, are just annoying. Their not the flu or anything. I do train with colds. Eventhough the breathing problem comes in to play again, I don't push myself when I train with a cold. I stick with the simple stuff, and take it slow. But that's just me :smile:

Laurie F

Yes well, the workout I was talking about should be aerobic in nature, not weight-training!

The idea is to get the oxygen flowing...I KNOW it's hard when your lungs are full of mucus, but the point is to clear them out...

OK, I can understand why you mightn't want to do it in public (ie karate class)...

To be honest, I've only ever done this a few times, because I've only ever had a handful of bad colds that actually interfered with me doing anything. Made me feel better though!

I've never taken antibiotics and never got a "medical certificate" or "prescription" from a doctor. In fact, the last time I was forced to seek medical help (other than a few checkups) was in 1989, when I broke my finger playing touch football... Before that, 1981 or so when I got a tetanus vaccination...

KarateForums.com - Sempai