• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Time off for surgery

karatekid1975

Hiya all.

I need some advice. I have to have surgery in Dec, and I won't be able to train, for at least, a month :bawling: The good thing is that I don't have to pay tuition for a month or so, and go shopping ;) hehehehe

Anyways, do you have any advice on what I can do to keep "sharp" mentally (obviously, I won't be doing physical training)? Is there any excerises that I can do while I heal (as long as it doesn't hurt my belly where the surgery will take place)?

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch fights of all kinds. As I write this there's some Muay Thai competition between Japanese and Thai kick boxers on the tube. Before the mods pulled the threads, Superfoot had some excellent links to Kyokushin vids. Boxing is pretty good too. There's also a lot of mma available, if that's your thing.

As for exercises, please ask you doctor. I can't think of any good exercises where your core isn't involved, unless you're thinking of squeezing a stress-ball in your hands.

Hope the surgery goes well and your recovery is quick.

Hiya all.

I need some advice. I have to have surgery in Dec, and I won't be able to train, for at least, a month :bawling: The good thing is that I don't have to pay tuition for a month or so, and go shopping ;) hehehehe

Anyways, do you have any advice on what I can do to keep "sharp" mentally (obviously, I won't be doing physical training)? Is there any excerises that I can do while I heal (as long as it doesn't hurt my belly where the surgery will take place)?

I suggest crunches in every conceivable position.

No? (heheheh)

Walk a lot, watch videos, maybe just volunteer/work the desk at the dojangh. If you completely lose contact with it for a month or so, then it's really hard to start going back again.

Maybe you could coordinate the Christmas party at the dojangh, or do somehting like that? Easy, keeps you in the studio, and takes something off the instructor's/owners agenda.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Hey KK1975. Good luck with that surgery. I hope all goes well.

As for mental exercises, try visualizing every move of every kata you have learned. Start at the beginning and picture yourself doing every move ideally and in sequence. Perhaps write out your kata as well, including foot position, what your hands are doing, where your head is turned, etc. Also, rent every cool martial arts movie you can lay your hands on just for fun.

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

Meditation can help in all sorts of ways , relaxation , stress reduction , mental focus . And read alot . Personnally I have hundreds of books on just about anything martial arts + years and years of back issues of my favorite MA mags . That will help get you through the bed rest periods . Sufferring from injury and recovering from the surgery was when I discovered this site and will help keep many topics fresh in your mind . And once your up and going , see if you can go watch a class or two . I like a good ( or even not so good ) martial art movie every now and again . Good luck with the surgery .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

Thanks all. No I won't be able to move for about a week, so I will definitely catch up on my reading ;) Visualizing kata is a good idea, too. It will keep my technique sharp (in my mind anyways LOL). Meditation is good, too. It'll help me stay "focused" and relaxed during recovery.

And, no I won't be able to stay away from the dojang. I will pop in now and then during that month to watch class, or modivate my team. We have "cleaning teams" that compete against each other. "Who gets the dojang the cleanest," ect. And we even have mini tournies for the teams to compete against each other. There is one in Dec that I just can't miss. I got to support my team. We are tied for 1st place, so I HAVE to get them pumped up. I won't be able to compete, so it's the least I can do.

If anyone has any more ideas to throw out my way, feel free :)

Laurie F

As for mental exercises, try visualizing every move of every kata you have learned. Start at the beginning and picture yourself doing every move ideally and in sequence. Perhaps write out your kata as well, including foot position, what your hands are doing, where your head is turned, etc.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Hawkeye has some good ideas for kata, also do this for your techniques. Research has shown that visualization in the mind stimulates the same neural connections as when you are doing the activity. This kind of practice keeps your mind sharp and if you listen to the masters they always say that MA is 90% mental (or some high percentage). This layoff is a good test for you, in fact you may make some discoveries about yourself.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

You'll be in my prayers for your surgery & recovery, Laurie. If you're like me, when you CAN't workout (due to illness or injury) is when ya wanna do it more. I'd suggest going over forms in your head & maybe do background work on TSD (terms, history etc) on the net or in books. That way you'll have it as you prep towards coming testing.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Good luck with the surgury KK!

Remember, it could always be worse. I have a close friend that was in a motor cycle accident. He was big into body building. Pretty huge too! His accident was 2 years ago, and even after two surguries, still have problems lifting. He has gone down a lot in size.

You'll be in my prayers! :D

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack