• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First ever broken bone.....dang...

Aodhan

One...one broken rib! haaaaaah hah ah ha ah ah ah. (Ok, only if you've ever watched sesame street will that make sense. :D )

First ever broken bone. :(

Doing a ground fighting clinic this last weekend, was doing heel check drills with the senior master that was teaching, and he happened to catch me with his heel at just the right angle and time, and poof! fractured rib.

So, it's a few weeks of very light activity, but it doesn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it might. Right now the only time I really even notice it is when I cough/sneeze. Hopefully I'll be on the short side of the 3-8 weeks I see as a time range for healing, especially since I'm moving this Saturday and have a tournament next Saturday.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't ya just hate when that happens. Take care of that rib. You may want to reconsider the tournament. Your guard will be a little lower cause you'll be favoring your injured side opening you up to potentially more serious injury.

Don't ya just hate when that happens. Take care of that rib. You may want to reconsider the tournament. Your guard will be a little lower cause you'll be favoring your injured side opening you up to potentially more serious injury.

If I do the tournament, it will just be weapons and forms. I may just judge, haven't decided yet. I'm up enough in points that missing one tournament this early in the season won't kill me, but I hate not competing. :D

We'll see how it feels after the move. :roll:

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

As my Sensei says, invariably you will meet the funniest person you will ever meet or catch a major cold soon after you break a rib.

A fellow I train with had a rib broken at a tournament. He took about a month off, then came back slowly, not wanting to reinjure himself and be laid up even longer. That strategy worked well for him. Here's to hoping you have a quick recovery.

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

As my Sensei says, invariably you will meet the funniest person you will ever meet or catch a major cold soon after you break a rib.

A fellow I train with had a rib broken at a tournament. He took about a month off, then came back slowly, not wanting to reinjure himself and be laid up even longer. That strategy worked well for him. Here's to hoping you have a quick recovery.

I'm hoping its the first. I'm taking vitamins, resting, and doing deep breathing exercises. Most of the reason people get colds is it hurts to breathe deep, so they don't do it, and your lungs get stagnant. (Not the best term for it, but it's the simplest one).

Thanks for the thoughts, too. It's already much better than it was last week, although I slept wrong last night and it hurt like the dickens this morning for a while.

Aodhan

I'm currently recovering from a fractured rib myself. I kept traing on it for 2 weeks :kaioken: and it hurt like heck all the time. So I took 3 weeks off, and just started back last week going light and slow. Only doing 2 classes a week right now till I'm 100%.

I'm feeling pretty good now though. I only feel it when get up fast from being on my back/gaurd.

I took an extra calcium supplement x2 a day and applied heat to it every day.

Good luck, I know it sucks to not be able to train.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know what you are going through because I have never broken a bone, but the time will probably come :)

I would probably reconsider, the tournament and just take some time out and go watch it instead. Just imagine if you get kicked or punched in that rib, you might be out for even longer.

But rest it and learn from it!

Evade, Block, Counter

If it works, use it!

I did skip the tournament. I went and judged (Always need more judges!) but I didn't compete. Man, it was harder than I thought. I would have walked away with the forms competition. :(

However, I was rested enough to start back before T-giving, and attended a joint lock seminar this weekend that was really sweet, and no pain! Things are good again. :D

Aodhan