• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any serious Weight training - Karatekai here???

Russell

Hi, guys.

I was wondering if there were many guys(or girls) here that are in to weight training. I feel its a very important part of my karate. I must stress I am in to weight training and not body building as many people get mixed up.

Anywho... I was thinking that if this topic gets enough positive interest I could pass it on to the admin staff and hopfully get a

"weight training in martial arts" forum.

we can post about weight programs, how it affects karate, positives, negatives, diets and stuff like that.

I feel that it would help stop that same Q's coming up over and over and newcomers can use it as referance.

Come on guys!!!! make some noise!!!!!!!!

"Turn to face the sun,

your shodows will fall behind you"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do weight training and have done it for a couple of years now. I feel it definately helps in MA as well as in everyday life. Like you, i dont do much in the way of bodybuilding but do more strength training. It also helps if your car breaks down and you have to puch it, etc..lol :lol:

I would also like to see a weight training forum.

You cna also go over to https://www.bodybulding.com and check out there forums, they also have a powerlifting and strongman forum..alot of good info there.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Well back in the day I used to be heavily into it, but had to seriously lower it down because of a health issue.anyways I feel that weight training and martial arts go hand in hand.Both help to condition you to become the best you can be.Also it's not just a guy thing,girls should do it too.Some styles even have some form of weight training like mine.In Goju-Ryu we have some weird Okinawan weights that we can choose to use.I've tried them and they help a lot with your grip which I think is important for grasping movements in the art.Then as for supplements if you choose to take them fine, but the way I see it is that for martial artisit it's not really a neccecity unless youre a pro fighter.Also when you do lift,try to do compound movements because those work your muscles the best and you won't use up your energy like if you did bicep curls.Anyways I hope they do get this forum on here :karate:

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Thats cool, Im not so fussed about body building, and that lot are not usually interested in talking about martial arts. I thort this would be the best place to start.

Cool, Come one everyone!!! Even If you dont care its only gonna take a second to reply with a yes!!!!!

"Turn to face the sun,

your shodows will fall behind you"

Yes, I have nearly reached a 1000 pound powerlifting total. I am usually in the powerlifting section of bodybuilding.com, it's a good forum.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I weight train 3 days a week. 3 day split. I run, and do bag work in between. I'm on a clean diet, and looking to shed down another 5% in BF, and gain about 10lbs in mass

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

I weight train 3 days a week. 3 day split. I run, and do bag work in between. I'm on a clean diet, and looking to shed down another 5% in BF, and gain about 10lbs in mass

What's your weight training routine like, and what's your diet all about?

I'd like to put on about 5lbs, tops.

I just want to maintain what I have and shed the rest of my body fat.It's not easy though with all the temptations and working at a fast food restaurant.Martial arts and weights help me at least be normal.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

What's your weight training routine like, and what's your diet all about?

I'd like to put on about 5lbs, tops.

I have lost a total of 67lbs so far, 19% Body fat, and I have gone from a size 42 to a 36 inch waist.

Breakfast 6:00am

1 scoop of Whey w/water

1 banana

1 slice of wheat toast

Morning Snack 9:00am

1/2 Cup Oatmeal, 1/2 GoLean

Lunch 12:00

Chicken 8oz (not both, steak or Chicken)

Steak 6oz

Veggies 1 cup

Brown Rice 1 cup

Mid day Snack 2:30pm

yogurt 1 cup

1 can of tuna in water

Pre workout 5:00pm

1/2 cup Oatmeal

strawberries 1/2 cup

Workout (6-7:15)

(7:20)Post-WO Whey w/water

Natural Peanut Butter 2 tbsp

Run for 30 minutes at 8:00 (one lifting days only. 45 on cardio days)

Dinner 8:30

Chicken 8oz

Steak 6oz (one of these, not both)

Veggies 1 cup

Bed (10:00) Whey w/ water

I have Salmon from time to time. My wife complains about the smell

This all adds up to

2300 calories

28 fat

288 carb

205 protein

(Supps) : FishOil, Multi-V, Glucosamine) I take OmegaThunder 30 minutes before lifting.

I take fish oil pills with Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner

Workouts: I do 3 normal sets. After the third set, I do another set until failure, but I cut the wait in half. This is for the smaller muscle groups.

I work my ABS every other day. My ab workouts are...

Crunches: 3 sets, 20 reps 45 second rest

Bent-leg Hip raisers 3 sets, 15 reps, 45 seconds rest

weighted leg raises 3 sets, 12 reps, 45 seconds rest

Mondays: (Cardio) Pushup till failure, Running + Karate (I when I get off work for 45 minutes, then head to training at 7:40pm. Stretch, then train for an hour) This is the same for Wednesdays.

Tuesday: Chest, Biceps (run for 30 minutes)

Flat Bench: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Incline Bench: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Dumbell Flys : 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Barbell curls :3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Hammer curls: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Concentrated curls: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Wednesday: (Cardio) Pushup till failure, Running + Karate

Thursdays: Back, Triceps (run for 30 minutes)

Laters pull down (I know, I'm looking for a good pull up bar) 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Dumbell rows: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Deadlifts: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 2 minute rest

Rope pushdowns:3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Dips: 3 sets, till failure, 90 seconds rest

One-Arm Dumbbell Triceps Extension: 3 sets, till failure, 90 seconds rest

Fridays (Cardio) Pushup till failure, Running 45minutes, then 20 minute bag work (2 minute rounds, 1 minute rest)

Saturdays: Shoulders, Legs

Standing side lateral raises: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Seated dumbell military press: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Reverse flys: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

front dumbell raises: 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Shrugs :3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Extension : 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Squats : 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 2 minute rest

Calf raisers : 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 90 seconds rest

Sunday's are rest, maybe some cardio.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Awesome training schedule and diet plan. I got tired just reading it. Congratulations on losing the 67 lbs, that's like a small child on your back jumping off! Thinking about your routine makes me laugh about some people I see highlighted in those makeover reality shows, you know the guys who need the silicone breast implants to get pecs not to mention the the numerous liposuction addicts.

Salmon, or any fish for that matter, shouldn't smell fishy if it's fresh. If you're getting it pre-packaged at the supermarket, it ain't the freshest. Shop where you can find the fish on ice. Lately they've been saying that the amount of mercury in oily fish like salmon is too much for regular consumption. This is a problem for me as I love the taste of salmon. Another fish you might like is arctic char, very similar in taste, if not a little lighter.