• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weight training worth it???

viskous

well ive done wieght training before but i was wondering about the need for it...........it seems to me that body wieght exercises and isometrics are plenty.....my father hates wieghts and he's the strongest person ive ever met.....and threw my own experience just doing isometrics and push ups i experienced a rather impressive increase in strength that ive never gotten out of my wieght training even with supplements maybe its just genetics..........so is the added wieght really worth the added stress on my joints??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally, I'll lift until I cannot lift anymore. It's about making my body look great, sculpting it until I'm ripped. I don't need the bodybuilding think look. If you don't want to increase your size, and don't think it will do you any good, don't do it. It's a preference, not a must. Personally I think power comes from your core, as well as your legs. To have a strong core, you need to be doing abs and back work (weighted crunches, dead lifts). Your legs... on the other hand, you can get very strong legs by doing Hindu Squats.

I don't think the way you're doing it is bad, perhaps you just need a little more info to make it right.

Check this out.

http://www.mattfurey.com/

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Short and sweet, yes, lifting weights is helpful.

It's odd that martial arts seem to evolve the slowest with this sort of thing. Swimming coaches used to fear weightlifting as they thought the extra mass would slow them down and make them lose flexibility. Same with most of the other sports.

In reality, muscle growth is simply a reaction to a change in the "environment". If you demand the ability to move a lot of weight with easy then you will be increasing the speed in which you move less weight as well. That's how you can further develop a powerful punch.

Also, calisthenetics and isometrics are wonderful but they are different types of strength and will not produce the same type of power. It's more muscular endurance then muscular strength - Being able to lift 20 pounds 40 times or 100 pounds 10 times - two totally different but related things.

So, if you train calisthenetics AND include weightlifting into your program, then you will become a more powerful fighter (assuming that is why you train.)

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Yes, to become the best fighter you can be, you need as much strength as you can get, and you don't get as much from bodyweight wxercises. Focus on bench, squat, deadlift, clean and jerk, and snatch. Do some weighted situps for the core if you want. A few good assistance exercises are stiff leg deadlifts, good mornings, bent over rows, overhead press, power cleans, push press, and overhead squat. That should be enough to keep you busy.

Shoot for 3x3 or 5x5 for your exercises. Use the biggest poundage you can handle for your reps. Just focus on the big three and the olympic lifts for a solid year and you will be MUCH stronger than you are now.

For example, I have been powerlifting for about 9 consistant months, and it looks like at the 1 year mark, I will have added an average 100 pounds per lift for the big three.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Kicks' signature, "i dont lift weights, them things are too heavy." lol.

I didnt have a gym around where I grew up, so using my body is the only thing I do (when I do something). Im used to it and since my goals have not changed since, I dont change anything. Push ups, sit ups are the real deal for me.

I have the chance to have fairly good genes, but I will certainly move to weightlifting either if my goals change or if i feel like sustaining my strength and speed as I grow older.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

I use to be Anit-Weightlifting as well.

My sensei does not approve of it, however.

I'm only using 25 lb dumbels, and my overal streagnth for my size is amazing. Kids 2 times my size underestimate me. In arm wrestling the biggest of football player struggles with getting me down, ofcourse... he does... eh benches 4x my weight.. lol. They also mess around with me thinking, "He's a stick" and they find out I'm not. Great face :).

J. Farnsworth (Who I look up to, a wounderfully blended fighter 2nd degree in Tae Kwon Do and 1st degree in the Kenpo System.) Is a smaller guy like myself, so he has the extra speed of being smaller. He started lifting weights and hasn't stopped since. It can be very beneficial, just remeber to mix the two. Don't JUST weight train or Isometrical and calisthenic excercises that would be bad.

Keep it balanced and keep it within reasoning your goal is to get stronger... not so big you can't touch your shoulders, haha!

Good luck!

Aaron

Needing to focus...

I do want to clarify a few things I didnt get in my first post, and that is:

Weightlifting is not completely necessary if you are already doing calisthenetics and are not a competitive fighter, but it will give you an edge in the ring, and also,

Physical strength is not, has never been, and will never be a replacement for technique.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a martial artist almost all of my 28 years and started body building training when I was 18 and love it, it helped me alot! in terms of increased stability, and overall power in my tecniques, plus my body could take more punishment from blows from the added muscle.. as long as you keep stretching and training you wont get slow and 'muscle bound' unless you extremely huge like a Mr.O Bodybuilder and who is..lol I'am 5'9 and 220lbs and just as fast if not fasted then when i started lifting a 165lbs 10 years ago.. I actually train more in the gym then the dojo these days, do to my schedule e.t.c... I love it..good luck!