• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what do u think the best time to practice is?

Chris05

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, actually a workout floods your body with endorphins, and thus hampers your ability to concentrate on such things as homework. I gather he was referring to meditation...

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Well, actually a workout floods your body with endorphins, and thus hampers your ability to concentrate on such things as homework. I gather he was referring to meditation...

Interesting statement actually. I find when im up all hours of the night and morning with homework ill do a kata or two to revive myself so i dont dose off. I also do this during the day.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Interesting statement actually. I find when im up all hours of the night and morning with homework ill do a kata or two to revive myself so i dont dose off. I also do this during the day.

Endorphins are the body's natural 'morphine.' It is an inhibitor of neurotransmission, and thus acts as a pain reliever. Interestingly enough, distractions and interaction increases endorphin release. So while an interactive classroom setting would be a great environment for learning while being pumped by endorphins, a sit-down solo setting is not.

In fact, this presents the issue commonly encountered in the classroom by teachers who have invigorating classes, but have poor test scores. The students come to the class hoping for an endorphin kick, and so their bodies jump the gun and shoot out endorphins, in the manner of the Pavlovian salivating dog effect, only to find they must 'sit-down' quietly and focus on completing a test.

One instructor i read about found a great middle ground. By interrupting the testing process for 5 minutes every 10 minutes or so, and starting up a light-hearted chat about a particular question on the test, he would help the students to perceive the testing process as a social activity, which oddly enough allowed them to treat the test itself as a distraction, rather than the focus. This, in turn, presented higher test scores.

As to doing katas and such revitalizing you, stretching increases blood pressure and heart rate and also flexes muscles and joints. Yawns do so as well. Thus stretching out is, in many ways, an extended version of a yawn. You'll notice that you yawn in the morning, which seems to help you wake up. You'll notice, as well, that you yawn at night while 'trying' to stay awake. You may also notice that when you yawn, you don't just do it with your mouth. Your entire face gets into it, and sometimes even your arms and torso... an extended stretch. Ergo, it does not have to do with the endorphins.

A disclaimer: do note that studies on endorphins, and on yawning for that matter, are still being conducted and that most of the studies are in relation to the pain relieving effects, or on behavioral issues associated with self-injury. The effects of endorphins is a 'barely' covered topic that i've encountered in only a few teaching magazines over the years. Too bad, because i think it's a viable topic of research when posed in the instructional venue. Problem is, pharmacologists have more money to toss into research than educators do.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Endorphins are the body's natural 'morphine.' It is an inhibitor of neurotransmission, and thus acts as a pain reliever. Interestingly enough, distractions and interaction increases endorphin release. So while an interactive classroom setting would be a great environment for learning while being pumped by endorphins, a sit-down solo setting is not.

In fact, this presents the issue commonly encountered in the classroom by teachers who have invigorating classes, but have poor test scores. The students come to the class hoping for an endorphin kick, and so their bodies jump the gun and shoot out endorphins, in the manner of the Pavlovian salivating dog effect, only to find they must 'sit-down' quietly and focus on completing a test.

One instructor i read about found a great middle ground. By interrupting the testing process for 5 minutes every 10 minutes or so, and starting up a light-hearted chat about a particular question on the test, he would help the students to perceive the testing process as a social activity, which oddly enough allowed them to treat the test itself as a distraction, rather than the focus. This, in turn, presented higher test scores.

As to doing katas and such revitalizing you, stretching increases blood pressure and heart rate and also flexes muscles and joints. Yawns do so as well. Thus stretching out is, in many ways, an extended version of a yawn. You'll notice that you yawn in the morning, which seems to help you wake up. You'll notice, as well, that you yawn at night while 'trying' to stay awake. You may also notice that when you yawn, you don't just do it with your mouth. Your entire face gets into it, and sometimes even your arms and torso... an extended stretch. Ergo, it does not have to do with the endorphins.

A disclaimer: do note that studies on endorphins, and on yawning for that matter, are still being conducted and that most of the studies are in relation to the pain relieving effects, or on behavioral issues associated with self-injury. The effects of endorphins is a 'barely' covered topic that i've encountered in only a few teaching magazines over the years. Too bad, because i think it's a viable topic of research when posed in the instructional venue. Problem is, pharmacologists have more money to toss into research than educators do.

I think ill have to take your word on it :karate:

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

when is the best time to practice martial arts right after school or after you do all your homework :karate:

In as much as karate practice comes secondary to my gainful work, I could only practice after office hours in the dojo or late in the evening at home. Karate workout helps me relax more and sleep better so it is an important part of my daily routine for the past several decades.