Chris05

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I know you are new to meditation, I will teach you the way I teach my beginner students. It is very simple, so simple you will find it hard to believe. (if you are tired you will go to sleep during this process, so you can use it at night to help you get to sleep). Make sure you will have some privacy, you don't want other people or things (radio/tv) to draw your attention away.

First find a comfortable place to sit or lie down

Close your eyes, and see the number 25 in your mind, inhale and as you exhale slowly see the number change to 24. Keep repeating until you reach 0. Your mind will wander off, this is normal, just bring your attention back to the number and continue. After you practice this for a while you will notice that your mind will begin to wander off less and less, and the whole process will require less time.

If you don't feel more relaxed after the countdown, repeat it. The secret to meditation is discipline. The more you do it the better you get, which in turn makes your experience better and eventually it will become second nature.

I encourage you to do your homework, but don't look under the metaphysical catagories, look under science. I'm a nurse and have recently gone back to further my education and they are teaching us how to teach our patients how to meditate to assist with the healing process and also for pain control.

To meditate is to mimic sleep while being awake.

That is you relax your mind, and your body while in a given position, allowing them to do the natural physiological processes they would normally do while you are in REM, and the other stages of sleep.

That is as I have said before, and ladyj also states, it's about healing and pain control.

Some people meditate to the point, where they can avoid falling asleep, but still be able to kick off the altered state of conscious that the brain goes into when we sleep.

The metaphysical or spiritual people call this enlightenment or nirvana.

When it comes to our bodies. It's about being physical.

Any questions, please continue to ask.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Some people meditate to the point, where they can avoid falling asleep, but still be able to kick off the altered state of conscious that the brain goes into when we sleep.

The metaphysical or spiritual people call this enlightenment or nirvana.

I think enlightenment or nirvana may be substantially more than this. Enlightenment in the buddhist sense is being able to see life as it really is, not through the distortions of our mind, senses and karma.

Meditation has nothing to do with sleeping. If one starts to meditate then falls asleep then the meditation is over. Unless, that is, the meditator can maintain consciousness and concentration during sleep, which is quite an advanced practice.

During meditation the meditator is always actively aware and in control. In many ways their awareness, consciousness and concentration is heightened, not diminished as in sleep.

if ure catholic can u meditate

I assume by this you mean does the Catholic religion condone meditation as a practice. I know some Christian denominations frown on meditation.

Some branches of Catholicism embrace meditation and base their prayer on deep meditative practice.

The Benedictines (White monks of St Benedict) for example are a Catholic spiritual community that practices Soto Zen meditation, one of the two main sects of japanese Zen meditation. There are practicing Benedictine Monks in the U-S who are also Zen Roshi (teachers) Whereas a japanese zen practioner might practice shikantaza or meditation on emptiness, the catholi cpractioner would use a subject closer to their tradition like Christ, experiencing God, or a concept like Kenosis, the concept of Christ being God and a man.

The Jesuits also have a strong practice of meditation and contemplation.

But theses sorts of practices have little to do with the martial arts.

what are good ways to mediate or how do u guys mediate

This is what I do. Sit down, close eyes,breath in through your nose out through your mouth. Simply do this trying not to think about anything, for (if your like me) a little over an hour a day. It Helps

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"

Posted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if ure catholic can u meditate

I don't see how meditation has anything to do with religion...When you pray that also is meditation,so their is no differenece.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

I am not saying to 'fall asleep'.

Meditation is what you make it to be.

If enlightenment kicks of some answers to the world problems, then perhaps the meditation helped them reach into a part of their consciousness that wasn't reachable in the first place without time and practice.

Some use it to just ponder, but that is just short-selling it's true potential.

As a Christian I walk the line in many things. I use meditation to either

A.) Ponder

B.) Relax and bring my body back into balance. This form of meditation is Qigong, and or Taijiquan Form.

I do not go further and attempt to reach any form of enlightenment.

I have God and the Holy Spirit for such things.

Sometimes I just let things take care of themselves.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

There is no "right way" to meditate. Meditation is not a technique, it is a state of being. Techniques get you into meditation. Concentration also is something that can be misleading. Rather than concentration, be aware. Osho's teachings of meditations have worked wonders for me and many of my friends. A simple technique is to sit a comfortable position and be aware of the rise and fall of your belly as you breathe in and out. When this is taking place don't automatize things. If a thought comes to you while you are doing this, look at it as a cloud in the sky. Don't try to judge it or verbalize; just let it be. It is best if done in nature. Good luck.

Seek not and you will find. -Lao Tsu