• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking and splitting

lgm

Do you think persons who can do a full split on the floor when stretching can kick higher and stronger than those who can't do such a split? I'm asking this question to find out if what I have observed in our dojo a few years back has any confirmation here. You see, we had a purplebelt 6'2'' German expat weighing more than 210 pounds who could do a full split on the floor effortlessly to the envy of everyone including a 3rd dan like me, but who can kick only as high as the level of his jewels and Mr. Happy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm no master at any martial art, but just because you cannot do a full split, doesn't mean your kick is not powerful. Power doesn't come just from your hips, it's generated by yours hips, and core body strength (ABS). I personally would be more affraid of taking a kick from a well condition/trained Muay Tai fighter, then a out of shape purple belt who can do a full split.

If you want more power, focus on doing squats, hindu squats, ab training, and dead lifts.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

I agree the splits dosen't really mean nothing it just looks good if you can do it, its like being an acrobatic martial artist dosn't make you a better martial artist.

Have you tried Tom Kurz theaory? if not it could help you

I'm no master at any martial art, but just because you cannot do a full split, doesn't mean your kick is not powerful. Power doesn't come just from your hips, it's generated by yours hips, and core body strength (ABS)

To kick stronger and higher, one must have marked dynamic flexibility This is not the same as static flexibility which are involved in doing splits. To increase dynamic flexibility, one must do dynamic stretches. Splits are static stretches and won't really help make a person kick higher or stronger unfortunately. But, dynamic stretches will and these stretches may just be simple leg raises done in all directions which one could do regularly. To improve one's kicks, he must strive to slowly reach his full range of motion in the joints and progressively increase the velocity of the kicking leg to maximum level.

Do you think persons who can do a full split on the floor when stretching can kick higher

Usually , He can kick higher than most of those who can't do split , there are exceptions though

and stronger

Nope , when it comes to power , his kicks are usually weaker than the others , as a matter of fact most of the non-splitters can't split because of the muscles they have around their tights

we had a purplebelt 6'2'' German expat weighing more than 210 pounds who could do a full split on the floor effortlessly to the envy of everyone including a 3rd dan like me, but who can kick only as high as the level of

Thas the exceptoin am talkin' about

his jewels and Mr. Happy.

That was weird

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I can do a full split with my right leg out (almost on my left). I have pretty mean kicks. But if I kick above my chest level I start to lose power. If I kick someone in the head that is taller, I just end up "tapping" their head gear. It's usually not power at all. It looks nice, but there's no "meat" behind that kick, for me anyways.

When I do breaking, I always do kicking breaks at waist (maybe slightly higher) level, so I know I can get full power and full use of the hip into the kick.

Laurie F

I can do a full split with my right leg out (almost on my left). I have pretty mean kicks. But if I kick above my chest level I start to lose power. If I kick someone in the head that is taller, I just end up "tapping" their head gear. It's usually not power at all. It looks nice, but there's no "meat" behind that kick, for me anyways.

When I do breaking, I always do kicking breaks at waist (maybe slightly higher) level, so I know I can get full power and full use of the hip into the kick.

Thats how my side kick is, any higher than waist/chest high and I have no power, now with my roundhouse kick, i still have loads of power head high.

BTW is it possible to get that power into those lacking high kicks? Anyone have any ideas on how to do so?

Actually, I made a lier out of my post. I kicked someone in the head during sparring class tonight, and almost knocked him out (hook kick). I rocked his clock. I felt so bad :( I didn't mean it. It just happened.

My side kicks are not very high, but I can get loads of power in them. My roundhouse kicks I can get WAY high and still have power. The hook kick suprised me ..... oops.

Laurie F