• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Injury question

Bama Crimson

Back in July I was training in BJJ. My friend went a little too far when demonstrating an ankle lock on me. I yelled and he let go. It hurt but I got up and walked it off, and it felt better. Then I go to do a triangle choke on him, and I pull on the ankle. It began to hurt so bad I immediately let go (and I have a decently high pain tolerance, but I am not going to pretend to be tough man).

The pain stayed in my ankle and calf for 2 months. I tried to start training again last Thursday, and I pulled on the ankle again. It still hurts, especially when pulling the ankle down. The thing is I have been playing hockey on it for months without pain. Its only when I pull on the ankle in BJJ that it hurts.

Does anyone have any advice. I have thought about seeing a doctor but maybe someone has encountered something like this before and has some insight.

Thanks

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go see a doctor. I jurt my foot matfighting a few weeks ago, and didn't think it was that bad at the time. It hurt, but I could still walk on it and everything. After a week of near constant swelling and pain, I got it checked out. Turns out I tore a ligament in what they call a lisfrance fracture. Now I'm in a cast for another three weeks, and not allowed any weight on it.

Two months is a long time to keep going on something like that. You should really have it checked, and make sure it isn't getting any worse. Could be a tendon or ligament is torn.

"crutches suck"

"You'll appreciate it when you can use the foot at 50"

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

The pain stayed in my ankle and calf for 2 months. I tried to start training again last Thursday, and I pulled on the ankle again. It still hurts, especially when pulling the ankle down. The thing is I have been playing hockey on it for months without pain. Its only when I pull on the ankle in BJJ that it hurts.

Does anyone have any advice. I have thought about seeing a doctor but maybe someone has encountered something like this before and has some insight.

Thanks

Try hot compress and Ben Gay for temporary relief, or if the pain gets to be more uncomfortable take also an analgesic. But, please see the doctor as soon as possible for your peace of mind and more reliable path to a life without pain.

Thanks both of you. I will go have it looked at.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.