• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for those with Plantar Fasciitis

Zapatista

Okay, so in August my foot hurt really bad and I couldn't walk so I ended up going to the doctor and she said that it was either plantar fasciitis or a stress fracture (she thought that because she was doing ultrasound therapy and it hurt my foot to do it, which is a sign of a fracture) So I went to get X-rays done and it turned out to be plantar fasciitis.

If you don't know what plantar fasciitis, it is a form a tendonitis in the foot that can hurt very bad and actually prevent walking on that foot. Anyways, it's been about 2 months now and it feels better but I have orthodics in the form of insoles for my shoes and that helps too.

Here's my question: does anybody here have plantar fasciitis (or had it) and if so, are you able to train well? I'm planning on doing Judo and probably a little later Tae Kwon Do, would the plantar fasciitis cause a problem with that?

Anybody with experience of plantar fasciitis, I would encourage to post their stories and answer my questions.

Thanks for your time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Been there - had that. I find with me it is worse in teh winter months. I do a lot of stretching, especially dropping the heels off a step I find works great for allieveing teh pain and stretching teh muscles out.

"The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." --- Master Gichin Funakoshi

I've had it for a few years now, and have found that my MA training actually helps to alleviate the pain. I stretch my foot every day before and after training, so that helps considerably. I haven't needed orthotics since I started training.

Take your time and get better...do everything your therapist tells you and you'll be doing fine in no time at all. I especially enjoy tiger balm rubs on the sole of my right foot, as well as stretching my toes up as high as they can go and deeply massaging the plantar fascia.

I do remember vividly what a pain it was to wear the immobilizer night and day for almost 4 months. I wouldn't wish this afliction on anybody.

Great luck to you.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Here's my question: does anybody here have plantar fasciitis (or had it) and if so, are you able to train well? I'm planning on doing Judo and probably a little later Tae Kwon Do, would the plantar fasciitis cause a problem with that?

Anybody with experience of plantar fasciitis, I would encourage to post their stories and answer my questions.

Thanks for your time.

Me, I had plantar fasciitis on both feet a few years back for practising on cement-tiled floors. My doctor advised me to lay off doing karate until it is resolved somehow.

Against doctor's advise, I continued doing my daily karate workout and insisted on doing it on cement-tiled floors. But, instead of doing my karate barefoot as I'm used to doing for years and years of practice, I decided to wear soft sandals, so as hopefully not to aggravate the ailment. I also had to stop wearing leather shoes for work and going out, and instead wore only light weight shoes with soft-rubber soles (Florsheim brand).

The chronic and recurring pain lasted for about a year. Then, without medication or surgery, both plastar fasciitis were gone and never recurred since. I'm happy I never stopped practicing my karate then and when the pain was gone, I went back to barefoot karate practice and I'm still at it and see no reason for stopping. I'm now 55 years old and suffer many more physical ailments, but that's another story.

I wish you the same luck and full recovery :wink: