• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hand conditioning

Goju_boi

It was many years ago and I thought I got benefit from it...stronger fingers, etc., but now I have arthritis on both my hands and wrists from many years of use and abuse and really don't know how much that training contributed to it or delayed it's occurance.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's not such a smart idea. I used to do it as well, but it only made my knuckles worse. Now if I even tap one of my knuckles on a hard surface I get an aching pain, and this is a year later. I'm an idiot.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

well I've heard that people who do this have some calcium deposits in their bones that they got from training(if anybody saw tha xma spaecial on the discovery chanel,they know what I'm talking about). As for arthritis in your knucles , maybe you din't use proper form or did a lot of knuckle push ups over the years.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

well I've heard that people who do this have some calcium deposits in their bones that they got from training(if anybody saw tha xma spaecial on the discovery chanel,they know what I'm talking about). As for arthritis in your knucles , maybe you din't use proper form or did a lot of knuckle push ups over the years.

And the hand is a marvel of micro-engeneering. You really don't want to start building up calcium on and in your joints. Before following yet another stupid sensei advice, go see an orthopedic surgeon and ask him about it.

well I've heard that people who do this have some calcium deposits in their bones that they got from training

But does that strengthen the bone significantly? I still think your hand would break if you struck a bad target with too much force.. your bones were designed to break.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

My personal opinion and the one of our dojo is to condition slowly. TAKE YOUR TIME and do it CORRECTLY. Many folks mess themselves up permenantly by conditioning like fools. In other words, if you do a little conditioning each day and increase the intensity a little at a time you can build up pretty quick over a short time (a year to a few years).

As other have said, it's not worth it to screw yourself up. But to me it's worth every second to do it right.

As for the sand. I do other conditioning, and keep wanting to do the sand bit, but I haven't spent much time doing it. (I've done it a few times).

So like everything else, YMMV.

My personal opinion and the one of our dojo is to condition slowly. TAKE YOUR TIME and do it CORRECTLY. Many folks mess themselves up permenantly by conditioning like fools. In other words, if you do a little conditioning each day and increase the intensity a little at a time you can build up pretty quick over a short time (a year to a few years).

As other have said, it's not worth it to screw yourself up. But to me it's worth every second to do it right.

As for the sand. I do other conditioning, and keep wanting to do the sand bit, but I haven't spent much time doing it. (I've done it a few times).

So like everything else, YMMV.

what is YMMV?Also you should really start up that thread about conditioning in Uechi ryu as mentioned on the finger tip strikes thread,I think it would help everybody with their striking training.
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu