• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hand conditioning

Goju_boi

I suppose knuckle push-ups would be a decent form of hand conditioning, would it not?

yes they would and either on hardwood floors or concrete. another hand conditioning exerciseis wrapping a peice of wood with some thick rope and punching it.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

- martial arts legend:bruce lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to build a makiwara, unfortunately I am living in a rental house and i don't know how the land lord would feel about that. I will find a way.

My question about practiceing finger tip strikes through conditioning is, can it be that necissary to condition shoto strikes to the point that it could cause pain or discomfort? As I recall, the finger tip strike was meant to target soft, difficult to reach locations on the body, Such as the front of the neck on either side of the adams apple, as area that would be exposied even with most samurai head gear. If the targets are soft areas why condition your fingertips to a point of any discomfort at all? I understand some conditioning, if nothing else just to get mentally used to the idea of striking an object with this relatively fragile part of the hand. But if you want to hit something harder on the body, why not use your fist?

Also, can you not break objects such as concrete blocks without painful hand conditioning? I was under the asumption that to break an object was a formula based on velocity, mass, and centering mass into a concetrated portion of the body, i.e. the first two knuckles. I know this isn't the exact formula but I hope it made you remember what I might be talking about. lol.

Where the knukle pushups are concerend. Do you think lanolium would be good surface as well? Like in a kitchen?

I would love to build a makiwara, unfortunately I am living in a rental house and i don't know how the land lord would feel about that. I will find a way.

My question about practiceing finger tip strikes through conditioning is, can it be that necissary to condition shoto strikes to the point that it could cause pain or discomfort? As I recall, the finger tip strike was meant to target soft, difficult to reach locations on the body, Such as the front of the neck on either side of the adams apple, as area that would be exposied even with most samurai head gear. If the targets are soft areas why condition your fingertips to a point of any discomfort at all? I understand some conditioning, if nothing else just to get mentally used to the idea of striking an object with this relatively fragile part of the hand. But if you want to hit something harder on the body, why not use your fist?

Also, can you not break objects such as concrete blocks without painful hand conditioning? I was under the asumption that to break an object was a formula based on velocity, mass, and centering mass into a concetrated portion of the body, i.e. the first two knuckles. I know this isn't the exact formula but I hope it made you remember what I might be talking about. lol.

Where the knukle pushups are concerend. Do you think lanolium would be good surface as well? Like in a kitchen?

as for the makiwara you can builda personal size one. meaning it is about the size of your hand or slightly bigger. this size one is meant for being carried around so you can train when your bored like in a doctors office or something but it would still be ok in your situation. yes finger strikes are primarily for soft vulnerabl areas of the body. you would perform a finger strike to a bony surface like the forehead :). yes linoleum would be bettrer then nothing and better than carpet. and as for your formula basic physics says force= mass*velocity. and the smaller the area applying the force(the two front knuckles) the more concentrated, powerful the force. so i hope that helps.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

ok sure. its built just like a regular one but its smaller. about 5-6 inches by 8 inches or somwhere around there. it just needs to be big enough for your hand to hit. you hold it with one hand and strike with the other. glad to be of some assistance! :)

I see where you could condition the hand that way. But isn't part of the makiwara to develop a lethal punch? In which case, with the personal makiwara is it even possible to use a full powered technique while holding it? Maybe it is, but I would imagine it would be cumbersome.

I have done this in the past, but not much lately.

As you do your knuckle push-ups, start with your fists vertical, and then as you complete the push-up, rotate on your knuckles to horizontal, like you would the punch as you complete it. :D