Warmups!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that many of my fellow practitioners pay great attention to warmup, but few give themselves a proper cooldown. Often when we bow out of class, they simply change and leave, while I am in the corner stretching and cooling down. Then when I see them at the next practice, they show up with the usual complaints of sore muscles and joint stiffness.

The great Tarzan Brown, winner of the Boston Marathon ('36 and '39), was an early proponent of the cooldown due to him noticing that when he walked the 4 or 5 miles home after his long 25-30 mile runs he was much less sore than when he just caught a cab or train. I have remembered that story since I was a kid and today I give cooldowns the same priority as I do my warmup for better recovery between workouts.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

You are right, Sohan. The cool down is a very much neglected part of a workout. I have to admit, that I am guilty of it myself after lifting weights.

What many don't realize is the gains that they can gain from stretching after a tough workout to cool down.

I have noticed that many of my fellow practitioners pay great attention to warmup, but few give themselves a proper cooldown. Often when we bow out of class, they simply change and leave, while I am in the corner stretching and cooling down. Then when I see them at the next practice, they show up with the usual complaints of sore muscles and joint stiffness.

The great Tarzan Brown, winner of the Boston Marathon ('36 and '39), was an early proponent of the cooldown due to him noticing that when he walked the 4 or 5 miles home after his long 25-30 mile runs he was much less sore than when he just caught a cab or train. I have remembered that story since I was a kid and today I give cooldowns the same priority as I do my warmup for better recovery between workouts.

With respect,

Sohan

Very good point. Makes alot of sense too. I must confess I have not been performing "cooldown" after class, but i will start. Thanks for the input.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

In our class (7 year olds thru adults, white thru brown belts) we usually take about 15 minutes to warm up. This includes- arm, leg, and neck streching, 50 jumping jacks, running in place, more leg streches, 50 crutches, leg raises, and 20-40 pushups. In that order. Starting from the jumping jacks, the highest rank usually leads. We also focus on breathing for a few minutes at the end of streching.

Every once in a while we will pair up and stretch each other for about 30 minutes. Usually this involves one of us laying on the floor and the other pulling our leg back (one at a time) or a person standing against a wall and the partner pulling the leg up. Or we will both sit on the floor facing each other with our legs apart and grab each others hands. Then one will lean back and the other forward.

I have a group effort warm up for you Freddy. Have several groups of 4 or 5 students. Give each group a heavy medicine ball. You can have races: Go around the circle with the ball 10 times and then as a group do 10 pushups... It is fun for everybody, develops muscles, warms up the body, and is just something different to vary away from the same routine.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.