Cannot leave dojo?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Mononucleosis, it can take up to a year or more to fully recover from. A teenage friend of my daughter's, from our church, contracted it this past year, approximately 4-6 months ago. It has effectively ended her sports for the year. It can have lasting physical effects for the rest of your finace's life if she does not rest and have proper medical care. This should be your argument to your instructor after you are married. Again I stress, after you are married. Her finances become your finances, and vice versa.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I've never had a contract, only ever had to pay month to month...the only thing I did this past year was to pay a year's tuition in advance to save two months.

By paying in advance, you have effectively done the same thing as a contract. All a contract does is guarantee the dojo payment of a set amount over the term of the contract, typically one year. You have already done that, so of course a contract would be pointless... Except that the other side of the contract usually guarantees you certain things as well. For example, a contract usually states that it can be voided if you move, if you become sick or injured, or if they go out of business. You can stop making the payments under these circumstances. By paying in advance, you gave the dojo all the security it needs, but unless you also have a contract you didn't get any security in return.

--

Regarding the Mononucleosis, it can take up to a year or more to fully recover from. A teenage friend of my daughter's, from our church, contracted it this past year, approximately 4-6 months ago. It has effectively ended her sports for the year. It can have lasting physical effects for the rest of your finace's life if she does not rest and have proper medical care. This should be your argument to your instructor after you are married. Again I stress, after you are married. Her finances become your finances, and vice versa.

I too didn't know that. Thanks again for the great info! I have a really good idea on how to handle this. It's going to take some time, but it will work.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I've never had a contract, only ever had to pay month to month...the only thing I did this past year was to pay a year's tuition in advance to save two months.

By paying in advance, you have effectively done the same thing as a contract. All a contract does is guarantee the dojo payment of a set amount over the term of the contract, typically one year. You have already done that, so of course a contract would be pointless... Except that the other side of the contract usually guarantees you certain things as well. For example, a contract usually states that it can be voided if you move, if you become sick or injured, or if they go out of business. You can stop making the payments under these circumstances. By paying in advance, you gave the dojo all the security it needs, but unless you also have a contract you didn't get any security in return.

--

These are good points, but the key difference is that I didn't have to pay in advance, I only did so because I wanted to save tuition costs.

In any case, my annual tuition was a small fraction of what orion82698 is paying, so even if I because injured and my head master was not willing to refund unused tuition (unlikely IMO) I would only be out a few hundred bucks.

One other thing...if a school goes out of business because of cash flow problems, if you are in a contract requiring prepayment, would you really expect to get that money back? I'd think that you would just line up with all of the other creditors and hope for the best.

Going back on topic...good luck with getting out of the contract, orion82698. Also, in the future, I'd stay away from any school that wants to charge that much over several years...I'm sure that there are plenty of good schools out there that have much more reasonable fees and terms.

It has been an learning experaince, however a crappy one. I will voice my opinion about this place when I'm out of it. Until then, I will remain quiet. I would like to comment on something that was said from an instructor above. "No instructor should keep a student that doesn't want to be there any longer" Whether this be due to financial reasons, or lack of interest. I have had my eyes opened to a true Dojo, and a "McDojo". As I said, I will go into detail after this is over, but for now, for my sake, I will keep my mouth shut!

Thanks for all the advice

In my karate school, i cant leave even if i wanted to...

its just too much of a part of me now, i am there 2PM-9PM every day and even if im not in the mood, i still do it because if i dont then i feel bad when i go home, so then i just train harder the next day to make up for it. but in all i think i have missed 10 days in the past 3 years...

:karate:

That's awesome. I too hope to find a place like that. However, right now, I'm stuck with my stupidity..... for just a little while though

Holding you to a 3-year contract when you can't pay is rather unethical to say the least, even if you could pay there should be a cancelation clause.

It's not in there best interest to keep you on a contract if you don't want to be there either. Simple out, write up a press release detailing your experience and send it to the owner with a note saying that if he can't deny it's inaccuracy (by letting you out) you will forward it to all local news agencies.

I'd imagine you'll be out of it pretty fast ;)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!