• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cannot leave dojo?

Well, I have decided that I can't afford this class. $200 a month. I sucks because I just signed the contract 2 weeks ago for 3 years. Stupid me, not reading the contract.... I was all cool about it, until some finacial problems came into play, and not it's almost inpossible for me to make this payment. I called the bank that the contract goes through, and they told me that I can't get outta the fee. I'm stuck for 3 years. I laughed, and said "Every contract can be broken, there is just a fee" She told me to contact the school and see what they can do, cause the contract is through them. I'm still waiting to hear back from the school on this.

They have to let me out of the contract, right? I mean... I'll have to pay for it, but there is no way that I can be made to pay if I can't afford it. What happens if someone doesn't feel that they're into this anymore, or if they don't like the school after 4 months? There has to be a way out! I mean, you can get out of your house lease, and cell phone bills early, you jhave to pay.

Has anyone heard of this? It's driving me crazy!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a copy of the contract to a local attourney. I realize it may be a little pricey at first. But it won't be as pricy as $200/month over 3 years. Which is way way way to high to begin with.

Of course, if the school will let you out, work with them before getting an attourney involved. Just get everything in writing. You may feel like a jerk doing it, but it will save your butt later.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Wow, a 3 year contract. Some states do not allow these types of contracts to be enforced for more than 1 year.

All of my students are on a one year membership. We have a 30 cancellation provision which gives the student the opportunity to change their mind after a few weeks if they don't really like it. You should read your contract thoroughly and see if it has something like that.

If I have a student that really wants to cancel, I will let him pay a "cancellation fee" of $75 plus one month's tuition. This way he's happy and it doesn't impact my immediate obligations. See if they will offer something like that. Most instructors realize that an unhappy student is not something they want to keep.

--

Wow, talk to the instructor, and let him know, if he is a worthwhile person anyways, he will let you out.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

Thanks guys. I ran home and looked at the contract, it didn't say anything about being able to cancel, or a fee if I did cancel. It only talked about medical and moving cancelation fees. They were $150 to get out. I don't care if I have to pay $200 to cancel, I just need out. My wife to be (In 11 days) just got mono, and I will be paying all the bills for the next month, due to her being out of work (she has no disability) I know that 3 weeks ago, this wasn't an issue. Yes, the price was high, but it was a good school at the time. Now, it just a pain. Not to mention, I just got turned down on my raise that I was promised. Now that money it going to be really tight, I need out. The instructor is very kind, but I also think he's a business man. I mean, this is a 3 year program that I signed up for, but what happens when a student is no longer happy, or just loses intrest. You mean to tell me there is no way out? This is rediculous. I have called twice, still haven't returned my calls. I don't want to get a lawyer involved, mainly because I don't think there is anything they can do. It's a legal binding contract, it's just a load of crap. I can't believe it's writen this way.

Wow, a 3 year contract. Some states do not allow these types of contracts to be enforced for more than 1 year.

All of my students are on a one year membership. We have a 30 cancellation provision which gives the student the opportunity to change their mind after a few weeks if they don't really like it. You should read your contract thoroughly and see if it has something like that.

If I have a student that really wants to cancel, I will let him pay a "cancellation fee" of $75 plus one month's tuition. This way he's happy and it doesn't impact my immediate obligations. See if they will offer something like that. Most instructors realize that an unhappy student is not something they want to keep.

--

I hope they're like this. I can't imagine wanting to keep someone who cannot attend do to problems that just came up. I mean, that is just bad business. It's not like I'm bashing the dojo, I just cannot afford it anymore

Thanks guys. I ran home and looked at the contract, it didn't say anything about being able to cancel, or a fee if I did cancel. It only talked about medical and moving cancelation fees. They were $150 to get out. I don't care if I have to pay $200 to cancel, I just need out. My wife to be (In 11 days) just got mono, and I will be paying all the bills for the next month, due to her being out of work (she has no disability) I know that 3 weeks ago, this wasn't an issue.

This would be your out. Your fiance is sick and you are paying her medical bills. **Wait the 11 days and she will be your wife.** Due to her health, you will no longer be able to pay your contract. Pay your $150 and walk.

When you start martial arts again, pick a different school. $200 a month is extremely out of line with anything I have ever seen! Never sign a 3 year contract.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Thanks guys. I ran home and looked at the contract, it didn't say anything about being able to cancel, or a fee if I did cancel. It only talked about medical and moving cancelation fees. They were $150 to get out. I don't care if I have to pay $200 to cancel, I just need out. My wife to be (In 11 days) just got mono, and I will be paying all the bills for the next month, due to her being out of work (she has no disability) I know that 3 weeks ago, this wasn't an issue.

This would be your out. Your fiance is sick and you are paying her medical bills. **Wait the 11 days and she will be your wife.** Due to her health, you will no longer be able to pay your contract. Pay your $150 and walk.

When you start martial arts again, pick a different school. $200 a month is extremely out of line with anything I have ever seen! Never sign a 3 year contract.

Thanks! I hope that will work. Yes, it's very expensive, and I was very naive. I have learned a lot since then, and I will carry that with me to my next dojo when I start again. You don't think there is anyway that they can make me remain there, do you? I mean, the contract doesn't say anything about quiting.