• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinion on UFC

While I don't support playing an all-out BJJ guard-game against a knife wielding assailant, consider this: Last week, I was training some knife defenses in hapkido class. I took my partner down, but he maintained control of the knife. I responded by dropping into side control and clamping an americana on his knife arm. Hecould not cut me while I pinned him flat on his back and controled his knife wielding limb with both of my arms. THe painful americana was more than enough incentive for him to drop the knife.

The moral:

It really stinks to be caught in a knife fight.

If you are in a knife fight, the best place to be (except for out of sight) is in an absolutely dominating position where you can control your opponent. In this case, it was side control + keylock.

Train grappling!

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my signature says it all, this was taken from an interview where Royler was talking about being in a fight and getting wedged between 2 parked cars which made grappling difficult.

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, a post I made to another topic might be of interest to this topic, too.

Hey shotokan beginner,

Do not let anybody discourage you from inmersing yourself in the study of traditional shotokan. Many people will use UFC, etc. results to say grappling and/or mixed arts are superior, and this is simply not true.

In fact, look up a fighter named Ryoto Machida. He is a pure shotokan practicioner who won the International Traditional Karate Federation Pan-american Championships (jiyu kumite, JKA style) in 2001. A very strong karateka, he decided to try his luck at MMA fighting. In his 6-7 fights he is unbeaten, and his wins include knockouts of UFC middleweight champion Rich 'Ace' Franklin (he knocked Franklin out cold) and standout Stephan Bonnar, as well as a decision win over submission artist and Matt Hughes' conqueror, B.J. 'The prodigy' Penn. I've seen his fights, and he fights like a shotokan karateka, out of a senkutzu dachi, etc.

So, there you have it, for those who say a traditional karateka cannot make it in mixed martial arts...

best!

Gero

-----------------

Nidan-Traditional Shotokan

Nice to hear. I would surely like to see him fight. MMa is getting boring for me since it seems every fighter fights the same way (or close to). It's always the same martial arts in general that we see. I would like to see more martial arts win in those competitions.

Do not let anybody discourage you from inmersing yourself in the study of traditional shotokan. Many people will use UFC, etc. results to say grappling and/or mixed arts are superior, and this is simply not true.

Sure it is, and the vast number of competitions and their results have more than proven this. Mixed martial arts is not a style, but rather a venue of fighting.

When the context of "MMA" is to imply BJJ and Muay Thai, that is also correct. One who is a mixed martial artist will prove to be a much more well rounded and skilled fighter than one who is one dimensional. If you only know standup, or only know groundwork, and your opponent knows both, you're fighting at a serious disadvantage.

What this simply means is that your shotokan karate (or "my muay thai") coupled with a grappling art will prove to be far more effective than shotokan by itself.

In fact, look up a fighter named Ryoto Machida. He is a pure shotokan practicioner who won the International Traditional Karate Federation Pan-american Championships (jiyu kumite, JKA style) in 2001. A very strong karateka, he decided to try his luck at MMA fighting. In his 6-7 fights he is unbeaten, and his wins include knockouts of UFC middleweight champion Rich 'Ace' Franklin (he knocked Franklin out cold) and standout Stephan Bonnar, as well as a decision win over submission artist and Matt Hughes' conqueror, B.J. 'The prodigy' Penn. I've seen his fights, and he fights like a shotokan karateka, out of a senkutzu dachi, etc

Well, I hate to be the one that breaks the news, but Ryoto Machida is far from a "pure" shotokan practitioner. He has had extensive Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training (he currently holds a purple belt under Wallid Ismael). Hes trained with Renato Babalu, Rey Diogo, and Frank Trigg.

http://www.mmareview.com/FProfiles/profile-ryoto_machida.htm

"Ryoto has a tendency to revert to a karate stance during competition, but the traditional side karate stance has proven to be risky in MMA competition due to the fact that it increases the likelihood of an opponent obtaining a single leg takedown"

So, there you have it, for those who say a traditional karateka cannot make it in mixed martial arts...

best!

Gero

-----------------

Nidan-Traditional Shotokan

Hes far from a pure traditional karateka.

I think one point that hasn't been brought out is that it's not a matter of whether techniques work in your dojo or school, it's whether they work when your adrenaline is flowing, your fine motor control is at less than adequate functioning, and when tunnel vision is a factor. No, of course fighters in the UFC or Pride don't execute techniques perfectly- it's easy for those of us who train to criticize them when all we are fighting with is a tombstone, or better yet, air.

It takes hours and hours on the mat or in the ring practicing to be able to execute ANYTHING when the pressure is on.

Bas Rutten is coming out with this monthly DVD series- https://www.drillforskill.com that's supposed to help students/fighters learn exactly that...plus inside looks at training camps and fighters. It looks awesome- they say that every month they'll cover conditioning, striking, and ground/takedowns.

Personally, I am so sick of "my art is better than your art." They all have negative points, and they all have things we can take away from them.

I really enjoy the fights... I know that they get a little repeditive with the techniques, but it's just like watching football when I perfer rugby. It's not the only fighting I like to see, but it's good for what it is. I mean... it's not like watching K-1 where they can't even grapple :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu