• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu katas.

Smitty

Shogeri - that was a really good article on Sanchin. Of course Seikichi Toguchi has a slightly different take on Miyagi's sudden change of Sanchin right before he died. But that really doesn't take away from the fact of what Sanchin is, and that article had some very thorough descriptions of Shime and what goes into it.

I've personally never seen a child go through Sanchin - but our adult females go through the same Shime that children would go through (according to the article) - in other words, they don't take strikes, but the pressure points are still touched to make sure the right tension and stances are happening.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for us tensho isnt in the regular katas, but in our research katas for all ranks at black belt you need to learn two katas not in our dojos main katas, or research katas. tensho is very fun, i even tried using it in a tournement once. its not very useful as a tournement kata in my opinion. safia is taght at brown belt level.

nidan, goes to rising sun dojo in newport

for us tensho isnt in the regular katas, but in our research katas for all ranks at black belt you need to learn two katas not in our dojos main katas, or research katas. tensho is very fun, i even tried using it in a tournement once. its not very useful as a tournement kata in my opinion. safia is taght at brown belt level.
Wow at brown belt?I'm learning it at orange belt.
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Tensho isn't taught in the schools I train at until one reaches Shodan, but we also have a shortened version of Sanchin Kata which is taught to students at the time someone reaches Shichikyu.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

I am possibly repeating myself, in that Tensho was taught at the Shodan level in our school as well.

I learned sanchin earlier on (the original movement, but with closed hands), but do not recall if it was originally taught at a later rank or not. If it was, then it was at sempai level (brown).

If I ever implement it within my own style, then it will be at a beginner level, right along with Qigong 2 Circle Standing.

Under the goju ryu versus shorin ryu thread I posted this link:

http://web1.38231.vs.webtropia.com/indexen.html

It has many umcompressed videos to some traditional kata.

:)

Later!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

correct!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...