• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu katas.

Smitty

I was going over my katas today and remembered hearing another Goju practicioner telling me about practicing Naihanshi Sho (spelling?). As I understand it, some Goju-ka do practice it. Can anyone tell me about any other extra katas in Goju besides the standard 12?

Edited by Smitty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do practice 3 Taikioku kata as white belt, the first real goju kata (Gekisai dai ichi) comes when you are a yellow belt.

Yeah, I forgot to mention those. I'm taught a couple different ways to perform them as well. Would you happen to know any history of them? Did they really come from Gichin Funakoshi as a gift of some sort?

?

First off, the majority of Goju Ryu schools don't practice Naihanchi. Some may, but those aren't considered Goju kata.

The Taikyoku were made up by Funakoshi. They aren't considered Goju kata. For that matter, they are not considered Okinawan kata. I am not sure if the Goju Taikyoku is the same as the Shotokan and Japanese karate Taikyoku. It's just a common name, after all

The Gekisai were made by Miyagi and Nagamine (of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu). They are considered Goju kata.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

?

First off, the majority of Goju Ryu schools don't practice Naihanchi. Some may, but those aren't considered Goju kata.

The Taikyoku were made up by Funakoshi. They aren't considered Goju kata. For that matter, they are not considered Okinawan kata. I am not sure if the Goju Taikyoku is the same as the Shotokan and Japanese karate Taikyoku. It's just a common name, after all

The Gekisai were made by Miyagi and Nagamine (of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu). They are considered Goju kata.

I'm aware. The whole point is to find out if any Goju-Ryu practicioners were taught katas not "offically" Goju. Sorry if I'm being vauge.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were. It really is up to the discretion of the individual instructor. Most instructors have kata they have learned while training in other styles or under other teachers that they feel studying is worth the time.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I think the taikiouku is a very good choice as a beginner kata each one has only one striking and one blocking technique and two staces only... It's not the most beautiful kata but it's ok for a beginner... starting from gekisai (like some school do) maybe is too hard.

When I was practicing Goju we did training kata called Tai Chi ...

Jo-chu-ge

Chu-keri-ge

Chu-shutou-ge

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

If you can please name those 12 katas because in my school we have more than 12....tnks!

One year later.....! Japan again..

This time to win, and not to get injured I HOPE!