• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate question

Chris05

who do u think is the best martialartist ever?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. who do u think is the best martialartist ever?

• bruce lee
    • chuck norris

Probably none of the two. But if you ask me about a comparison between the two I would say that Bruce Lee has given a larger cotribution to the art. The concept expressed in Tao of Jet Kune Do are of great historical importance, BL was an innovator. Chuck Norris was a very good MAist who was also an actor but on top of that he left nothing that can be compared to what Bruce Lee left

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To me it would be Grandmaster Robert A. Trias, father of American Karate. 10th dan, opened the first Karate school in America in 1946, Founded the United States Karate association in 1948.

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

Gichin Funakoshi, Choshin Chibana, Chojun Miyagi, Kanryo Higashionna they all never reach immortality that is difference

Maybe not in the eyes of most Americans who base their knowledge on cheap martial arts movies...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 6 months later...

Bruce Lee taught Chuck Norris before he bacame world champion, so id say Bruce. As for why hes so important:

He ruffled alot of feathers. For a start he was one of the first to teach Gong-fu to westerners, and also for his opinions on martial arts. He said alot of it was for show and wasn't street effective. He argued that people should not worry about being loyal to a style, but should persue whatever method of fighting worked the best for them. This is the basis of his philosophy Jeet Kune Do.

Sure the other were legends, and accomplished many amazing things, but bruce lees skill and mind were second to none.

"Greet your friends with open arms, and your enemies with open hands"

Osu firstly let us make things a little clearer for those that have posted answers that not only do not relate to the actuale query but are not even raleted to the Martial Arts.

Jumping has abosoluty nothing to do with the Martial Arts let alone somehow finding it in the reply posts.

As well as that, who cares what quote people put as a part of their personal signage, to each their own, how boring it would be if every martial artists was forced by the way of popuilarity to only have statements, slogans or philosophical thoughts of a selected few who have blazed the trail for us.

Personally Bruce Lee was not only a major imprtance in my own martial arts training, but also the fact that someone from the East was reviered by those in the West painted the picture of things to come.

He is neither the best nor the worst martial artists, and no doubt it could be argued that Bruce Lee is in fact the father of "Modern Martial Arts"

Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, it makes no difference what the style is as every Martial Arts has something to offer and as Sosai Oyama has often reminded us that " Those that think otherwise are a disgrace to the Martial Arts"

From the softer art of Tai Chi, to the Brutal battles of Kyokushin or Muay Thai, to the Slick groundwork of Jitsu Arts or the jumping kicks of TKD etc, the list goes on and on, and the fact that we have sooo many flavours in our beloved Martial Arts suggests that the West has finally gotten the plot.

I will finish by adding the 11 Mottos of Mas Oyama which are instilled into Kyokushin Students the moment they don their gi for their very first class:

1: The Martial Arts way begins and ends with courtesy. Therefore be properly and genuinely courteous at all times.

2: Following the Martial Arts way is like scaling a cliff - continue upwards without rest. It demands absolute and unfaltering devotion to the task at hand.

3: Strive to seize the initiative in all things, all the time guarding against actions stemming from selfish animosity or thoughtlessness.

4: Even for the Martial Arts practitioner, the place of money cannot be ignored. Yet one should be careful never to become attached to it.

5: The Martial Arts way is cantered on posture. Strive to maintain correct posture at all times.

6: The Martial Arts way begins with one thousand days and is mastered after ten thousand days of training.

7: In the Martial Arts, introspection begets wisdom. Always see contemplation on your actions as an opportunity to improve.

8: The nature and purpose of Martial Arts is universal. All selfish desires should be roasted in the tempering fires of hard training.

9: The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle. Straight lines stem from this principal.

10: The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demand.

11: Always remember; In the Martial Arts, the rewards of a confident and grateful heart are truly abundant.

Osu

Sensei Mark

Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee were and are good. But what about the others in the USA that have been extremely influencial the true pioneers.

Grandmaster Peter "Maestro" Urban USA Goju

Grandmaster Robert Trias Shorei Ryu (I might wrong on the style excuse me if I am)

Sensei Glenn Keeney, 9th Dan Goju Ryu / PKC

Sensei Parker Shelton Shuri Ryu (I might wrong on the style excuse me if I am)

Grandmaster Harold Long, 10th Dan (Isshin Ryu)

Grandmaster Gary Alexander 10th Dan (Isshin Ryu)

Grandmaster Michael Depasquale Sr. 10th Dan (Yoshitune JuJitsu)

Grandmaster Vince Marchetti, 10th Dan

Prof. Gary Dill (SDS/JKD)

Prof. Wally Jay 10th Dan (Small Circle Ju Jitsu, Judo, Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu)

Sensei Fumio Demura

Hanshi Phil Koeppel 10th Dan (United States Karate Do Kai)

There are just so many that are just true pioneers

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do