• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too big karate gi

NoFear1725681471

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a wonderful summer... it's the last day of summer today...

So here's my problem. Today I've bought a new karate gi. It was really hard to find it in my country... But it's a bit too big for me. I'm 5,9 feets (1.8 metres) and it's for size of 6.2 feets( 1.9 metres). SO it's quite big for me, but as I'm still growing it will be ok for me after a year. Now I look quite silly with that too big karate gi... does anyone have any suggestions how to make it comfortable for me ? Or make it smaller ( i don't want to cut it) ?

Thanks for your suggestions

cheers

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it pure-cotton or Poly-cotton?

If it is pure cotton it will shrink a litte the first time you wash it... and after that you can make some adjustement but make all reversible adjustemets (no cuts) otherways you have no way back.

it's pure cotton. Thanks for an advice :) I hope it will help

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

Let it shrink then if the arms are too long roll them up (if your dojo allows it). And roll up the pants. You can use safety pins or sew them up and then adjust as you grow. (just rip out the stitches)

This isn't the best way but if you can't afford another gi then this is the way to go. If not, get it adjusted by a tailor so it fits right now, then get a new one when you grow.

YOu can just hem it up. THen when your bigger just remove the hemming. In other words just sew it so it folded inwards at the edges then remove the sewing once your bigger. It just makes it look like cuffs on the edges. My grandfather was a tailor so he did that for me but i am sure if you took some time you could do it yourself. It would be worth it if you dont have to keep on rolling it up.

Focus

[NoFear]: Begin with washing it in 90°C cycle, it should work fine. A do-gi shrinks usually quite a lot in a first 3 washes. Check out after every wash if the do-gi has shrunk enough and if it is, quit using the 90°C from then on. If there's still a slight need to shortening the sleeves or pants, get them shortened.

Do not use a tumble dryer, it wears the fabric out.

After first three washes, don't use the 90°C cycle in washing, but use the 40°C cycle as a "basic wash" and 60° when the do-gi is very dirty.

Personally, I like a roomy do-gi with short-ish sleeves and pants (tournament cut).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland