mamom

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its impossible in our club to get to black belt in 2-3 years, from brown belt you have to attend a minimum of 4 pre-dan assesments, these are held every 6 months. So you would have to get from white to brown in a matter of weeks - I doubt even Bruce Lee could do that!!

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I think that having an answer about the time it takes to get a black belt is a legitimage thing and doesn't neccesarily mean a place is a mcdojo. Can someone reach black belt level in 2-3 years? Maybe, if they trained in and out of the dojo dilligently every day of the week for the entire time period. They'd probably be better at the late kyu levels than some of the black belts out there with that kind of dedication. However, if a dojo guarentees a black belt in two years, it probably is a mcdojo.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

i got my black belt in 3,5 years, i went three times a week, i dont understand whats so hard about it, you train hard, practice, it comes faster, u slack off, dont push yourself, it takes longer, im in tae kwon do, and the common rate for black belt is 3-4 years, i see nothing wrong with that, time has nothing to do with it, its all about maturitym disclipline and skill

Different people learn at different paces. Some work herder and more often than others and will therefore take longer to achieve Black Belt. Some martial arts are more difficult to learn and take longer to reach Black Belt. Length of time to reach Black Belt does not say anything about the art itself. There is nothing "fishy" about telling a student a typical timeframe to reach black belt. It does not mean that he/she will reach it in that timeframe, it just gives them an idea of what is involved.

Outside of this forum, I have never heard of any actual school "promising" a black belt in a certain time (except for a few posts on this forum).

At my local club, I was speaking to one of the dan grades, he was going on to me about how long it would take to reach 1st dan like he did.

And he mentioned a very valid point in my eyes, He said "You could get away with hammering through 3 or 4 grades a year, but thats if you just do what the syllabus says and dont take your time to expore, It'd be better if you just take it slow, do two grades a year, make sure you nail every one on the head, and be ahead of the game in the grade your in, Then when you get that so much wanted dan grade by all, your going to appreciate it much more, and be a damn good karateka too."

"You could get away with hammering through 3 or 4 grades a year, but thats if you just do what the syllabus says and dont take your time to expore, It'd be better if you just take it slow, do two grades a year, make sure you nail every one on the head, and be ahead of the game in the grade your in, Then when you get that so much wanted dan grade by all, your going to appreciate it much more, and be a damn good karateka too."

Very good point!!

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

MartialArthur, I have to agree with you. I have never seen a school advertise that they guarentee a black belt in x amount of time. It was only here that I read it. However, I am finding that i read alot here that I have personally never heard of before. Good place to learn things and good place to say in regards to some opinions, "I think I will research that before I believe it to be true."

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.