• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Creatine and martial arts?

Mtal

Hmm, i've never heard of this slow twitch / fast twitch reference to muscle-types. Can you elaborate?

Muscles are made up of two types of fibers, type I and type II.

Type I - Slow twitch - Characterized by slow contraction times (Relatively speaking), and high resistance to fatigue. They also generally have lower creatine reserves.

Type II - Fast Twitch - Characterized by fast contraction times, and low resistance to fatigue. These are further divided into two types, FTA or IIA, and FTB or IIB. IIA are kind of "transition", and are between IIB and I fibers. Moderate resistance to fatigue. These are the fibers used in things like 400 yd sprints, etc. IIB have the lowest resistance to fatigue, these are the ones used in things like short sprints, shot puts, very short explosive type movements.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lifting lighter weights with more reps tends to work your fast twitch fibers. However, It has been known that lifting heavy weight not only targets the slow but also fast twitch simultainiously. so you tend to work both by lifting heavier weights whereas, lifting lighter only tends to work the fast twitch fibers

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

yeah but these people have been saying that lifting heavy makes you slower,that's why I'm asking if evening it out with light weight sessions can evn it out?

Not if you are doing just as much training in the dojang with sparring, drills, etc. If ALL you are doing is weightlifting, then using light weight/explosive drills will help train the fast twitch. If you are doing regular dojang training, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

there is something call obsessiveness... :D :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

oh ok,so martial arts helps take away that negative effect?

Training for speed takes away the "negative effect." That means shadowboxing, using a speed bag, or whatever. It usually doesn't mean lifting light, although I hear some people will lift a light weight very fast to train their muscles for speed. Personally I don't think that would work very well.