• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Creatine and martial arts?

Mtal

I was wondering, i take creatine now and then, i like to work out with weights. now the stuff i been using lately (was off it a little while, but will go back on it) track, i only take on work out days. Now, would it help me to take it on a martial art day? I was thinking, would my martial arts work out, plus the creatine, help my muscles, etc......? Also, in general, is that a good mix, creatine, weight lifting and martial arts? Thanks, any advice would be great.

Jay Johnson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good mix to me. But why take it only on lifting days? Usually most people, myself included cycle on and off it periodically. I take it every day for three months, then go off for a month and start over. I haven't taken it for awhile now but plan to start again soon. Would it help you on a MA day? I think it would help just about any work out day because it helps increase muscle endurance and speeds recovery time. Just make sure you drink LOTS of water, especially the days you are doing alot of excersize otherwise it can cause you to dehydrate. Lifting weights and MA is a good combo. Creatine will help. However I never went for those high priced concoctions with tons of extra stuff in it that costs and arm and a leg that you see advertized in all those bodybuilder magazines. I had good luck with Creadrive. Not too high priced but works quite well. You may wanna go over to bodybuilding.com and check out their sticky on creatine. Alot of useful info there.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Oh the reason why i only take it on workout days is cause that is what the directions are on my creatine. I am taking track now. I might go back to the type you said, take everyday, etc.....

Jay Johnson

i heard bad things about this creatine stuff, that if you stop working out, its very bad for you. but eh, if its like a protein shake or wahtever, id take it only after some weight training, but thats my weak opinion. :)

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

Madd,

there are no known side effect from Proper usage and dosage of creatine. Obviously if you are taking several times the recommended dosage of anything it can be bad. There is no proof of negative side effect from taking it when not working out either.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

creatine is one of the few supplements that actually backs up what it sells and has a few side effects.When youre using creatine you need to take it everyday(I think before and after you work out,not sure)and stay hydrated.Because if you don't you get dehydrated,get cramps,and I think muscle tears.Also like the other guys mentioned , don't buy the overpriced stuff,creatine monohydrate is the same however it is packaged.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Yes. It requires that you drink plenty of water, which is what you should be doing anyway. Also, you should not take it regularly. Creatine you can buy is a supplement. It adds-on to the creatinine your body already creates. However, if you take it for too long a stretch, your body decreases the amount of creatinine it produces.... which is not good.

The trick is to take it for only a month or less, and then take 2 to 3 months off, rinse and repeat. Also, you do not need a lot. For the first few days, take about 5 mini-scoops (mixed with a thick drink), then just take 2 or 3 mini-scoops a day (better to spread it out through the day, and preferably before a workout).

Its greatest effect is to cause you to 'look' bigger... which is a placebo for your ego. It fills your muscles with excess water, ballooning you. Its more subtle, but far more important, effect is to ensure your muscles are well lubricated, and thus less likely to fatigue. You will be able to work out longer. It can also help 'prevent' tendonitis. it can't cure tendonitis, nor can it treat it... so don't be foolish enough to take creatine when you have tendonitis. You'll only be encouraged to hurt yourself further. Just heal properly, taking anti-inflammatories and follow your doctor's / physical therapist's advice.

One extra note is that, if you've done this 1 month creatine, 3 month no-creatine cycle for an extended period of time, your body may actually increase it's creatinine production. This what has happened in my case, and i must tell you... i'm not happy about it. Since i've stopped taking creatine, some time ago, i've had plenty of cramps. That is partly due to my not taking the 'extra' water that i would normally need if i were ingesting creatine regularly. I've had to 'permanently' increase my water intake just to keep those cramps away.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

One point that folks didn't make about Creatine is that it breaks down in liquid fairly quickly. NEVER EVER buy it in liquid form. Also don't mix it up until you plan on using it. Liquid form is very expensive and a waste of money. Premixing it just turns it into a useless mixture.

Creatine can be effective in assisting you with muscle endurance and an increased rate of muscle recovery . If you are in a style of martial arts that competes in strict weight classes you will want to watch your creatine intake before a fight as creatine has a tendancy to put on a few extra pounds . Mostly due to water retention .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.