• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Styles in your city/ town

When I lived in southern NJ, there were just about everything you wanted to study (or a good bit of choices). I took TSD there, because I liked the school. There is more TSD and TKD than the other choices, though. About half of them were Mcdojos, though.

Here is McDojo-ville .... I mean, lots of schools. Mostly TKD schools that are either belt factories or no good teaching-wise. There is only two that I know of that are good. I attend one of them. The other is a few towns away. I heard good things about them. There a few Ishin Ryu schools. I checked one out. They were pretty decent, but too far. There is a lot more choices in the City of Rochester, but I'm not driving that far LOL.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my small Oklahoman town we have one school that used to be primarily Tae Kwon Do. A new guy took over, so I’m not sure what he’s teaching now, but I know he’s not trained in Tae Kwon Do. I just saw a Brazilian Ju Jitsu school open, but I’ve never seen anyone there. We also have a Chang Hon Tae Kwon Do school. There have been countless other schools that were primarily Tae Kwon Do, but they never seem to last more than two years.

Tons of different schools and styles here in Hawaii..........However I've never been able to find a GojuRyu school here. I know that there was one but the instructor passed away.

What works works

In the small area I live in, we have but one real dojo in the sense of the word. It is an Okinawan based karate dojo since the instructor teaches most katas that are of an Isshin-ryu flavor. He teaches real good basics, and is very good with kids. Otherwise, there are some little clubs that teach kung-fu, judo, and I think Tai Chi. However, it's more like several instructors sharing space. So no McDojos as of yet, but choices are very limited :roll:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

My city has a ton of TKD and karate schools, a few kenpo, boxing, muay thai, quite a bit of BJJ, then there is hapkido, Kook sool won, aikido, tang soo do, kung foo, wing chun etc..

In my area , there are many kyokushinkai dojos , few shotokan schools and no TKD . We also have Muay tai , kick boxing , wrestling , aikido , judo , fencing ..

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike