• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Styles in your city/ town

What styles are there in your city or town?

You can go to google local and see.

http://www.google.com/lochp

In my city, over 70% of the martial arts schools are TKD.

What style is most taught/ most schools?

Just curious

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well TKD and Okinawan anything seems to be the styles of choice around here. Alot of the schools it listed are closed so that needs to be updated! I think I chose the right style and school for me, I went to all the available schools in my town and the one I chose was the only one that impressed me and has been ever since :D

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Well, we have judo, karate, sometimes kung fu, who use our dojo, and a bunch of TkD

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I live right near Philadelphia (less than 6 miles out) so I am near pretty much any style you can name.

Near my suburb, we have: 7 TKD schools, 2 TSD schools, 4 Kempo schools (3 American "Ed Parker" and 1 Kosho Shorei Ryu), 3 Kung Fu schools (2 mantis and 1 southern style), 2 BJJ schools, and a Judo school that I'm fairly sure is defunct.

Out of the 7 TKD schools, I can say for sure only one is not a McDojo. And I know that 4 are considered to be belt factories. And the other one I've never been to or known anyone that studied there.

One of the two TSD schools is good. The other is a joke McDojo run by a guy with a rep for cashing in on his "franchise."

I study at one of the 4 Kempo schools. Two are definitely McDojos (one charges $105 for twice a week!) and I've not visited the third.

All 3 Kung Fu schools have good reputations.

One of the two BJJ schools has a decent rep. Both are new but one is ran by a guy with only a year of BJJ experience and questionable credentials.

The Judo school is a bit of an enigma. I've called them and I've never had a call back. They don't have a website or anything...just listings in the Yellowpages and on Google.com (and switchboard.com).

Well, we have 3 or 4 TKD schools I can remember off the top of my head, so I've say we have one or two more I am forgetting. I have never heard anything good about any of them, but that could be prejudice. We also have about five Goshin Jutsu schools, of varying quality. There are teachers of Shotokan and Tuite, but they don't advertise and can be difficult to find. Then there is that Tai Chi school I have heard good things about. There used to be a TSD school in our YMCA, but I have no idea if it is still there. There is at least one fencing school here too. My school teaches Aikijutsu, Shaolin-Do, and Kuntao. The Grandmaster of our branch of Kuntao teaches at my school, but I can't make his classes. My teacher also is a boxing coach. Pretty good amount of MA for such a small town like Erie.

We also have some place calling their art "Chinese Kung Fu Karate Self Defense: a mix of Kun Tao and Shotokan Karate." I won't go into that, because I honestly am not too sure about it. I have my suspicions, but never even heard of them until I Googled it.

36 styles of danger

Yeah, I've been looking over the website a bit more thoroughly for the last few minutes. It is a school specifically designed to help women protect themselves from rapists. So...uh...definitely not for me. Also, I realize this is only my opinion, but learning an actual martial art would probably help a lot more than taking a course with that specific an objective.

On a side note, while I don't think much of how they teach MA, I definitely approve of their rape prevention and awareness activism outside of their school. So there is definitely some positive things in what they do.

Here is the URL. http://www.streetsmart.50megs.com/

36 styles of danger