• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You guys are trying to explain this too much, JKD concepts is what you make it If you go to a JKD class you get a good general out line of what could work for you in a fight, if you don't like trapping, don't use it, use a Muay Thai style clich for control, if you don't like being on the ground, learn wrestling or BJJ so you can defend takedowns

I agree, make what is your own. BUT, before you discard, you must look at the possibility rather than just rejecting something without invesigation.

I am not comftorbale on the floor but i am willing to try and learn some basic skills because if i dont and i am comprimised in real life, then thats it, im ethier seriously hurt or worse.

Be like water my friend!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect to your opinon, id have to disagree.

Street fighting, by its nature, is severel incomplete slices jumbled into one!

Thats why JKD is not a style...its a street fighting concept.

You would also likely use trapping if an assaliant had you agaisnt a wall, to get out and make distance, if nothing else.

I have assailants against walls and in tight spaces all the time at work - still never use trapping. all I use in my clinchwork from muay thai and judo.

as for the pie, we do agree - it's jumbled. But you stand more of a chance of confusing yourself learining so many of the same technique as you do in jkd. I really don't need to know the way three different styles throw a front kick - especially if I was a newbie - it can confuse you. the MMA approach is much more straightforward. striking and grappling. period. my dispute isn't with jkd as a concept - it's with the skillset taught at many jkd camps. I personally would use muay thai, judo and kali. that's it. forget savate, wing chun, silat and anything else. you don't want to be TOO fragmented.

You would also likely use trapping if an assaliant had you agaisnt a wall, to get out and make distance, if nothing else.

I have assailants against walls and in tight spaces all the time at work - still never use trapping. all I use in my clinchwork from muay thai and judo.

as for the pie, we do agree - it's jumbled. But you stand more of a chance of confusing yourself learining so many of the same technique as you do in jkd. I really don't need to know the way three different styles throw a front kick - especially if I was a newbie - it can confuse you. the MMA approach is much more straightforward. striking and grappling. period. my dispute isn't with jkd as a concept - it's with the skillset taught at many jkd camps. I personally would use muay thai, judo and kali. that's it. forget savate, wing chun, silat and anything else. you don't want to be TOO fragmented.

Fair point.

I'm not too crazy about JKD schools in general. I think if your going to teach JKD school, then you should pick a base art that you can become familiar with as to attain balance, self-confidence, and just plain application. Get to know yourself before you jump right into the fire. The way Bruce came upon this concept was because of the skill he gained through Wing Chun and recognizing his weaknesses. Through this process you will take your time, and naturally start to pick up other technique from other disciplines as we all do naturally anyways (well most of us). I guess my main point is, there's no way to rush Jeet Kune Do, you have to see it through your own ability. That's just my take, hope it helps someone.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I'm not too crazy about JKD schools in general. I think if your going to teach JKD school, then you should pick a base art that you can become familiar with as to attain balance, self-confidence, and just plain application. Get to know yourself before you jump right into the fire. The way Bruce came upon this concept was because of the skill he gained through Wing Chun and recognizing his weaknesses. Through this process you will take your time, and naturally start to pick up other technique from other disciplines as we all do naturally anyways (well most of us). I guess my main point is, there's no way to rush Jeet Kune Do, you have to see it through your own ability. That's just my take, hope it helps someone.

I cant comment for most schools but my school IS fantastic. Your encouraged to grow at your own pace and lets face it... a punch is just a punch, a kick is just a kick. Theres so much dogma and politics involved in MA that in my opinion, it takes the FUN out of learning.

By the way i also study Win Chun...so i do think its important to look at the roots of something and i am not biased.

A good analogy is this...I am an animator by trade and get to draw alot of wacky cartoons...BUT to be a well rounded artist, a better animator, it is important for me to draw and study from life subjects. Cartoons are just an imitation of a truth and in order to express myself, i must be open to any and all experiences.

I am never, fully, satisfied with the results...!!COMPLECENCY!!... but i enjoy the journey of self discovery and that, to me...is JKD.

There is a difference between Jeet Kune Do Concepts and Jeet Kune Do

Jeet Kune Do Concepts has a solid basis (Jun Fan Kung Fu) that consists of a solid curriculum.

After that has been learnt you ad elements from anything you want if it fits into the Jeet Kune Do principles. Although most principles are still broken in the Concepts way of thinking.

The Concepts people also missunderstand the phrase "Having no Limitation as Limitation." They think Bruce meant going fluidly into any fighting distance. The 5 fighting distances (kicking-,boxing-,infight-,throwing-,grappling- range) are an invention of Dan Inosanto!

Do not get me wrong I like the Jeet Kune Do Concepts approach alot!

Jeet Kune Do means with beeing fluid that you do not have a set approach in your mind to any situation and that you simply react without thinking but with a consoius mindset. That is also the explanation for the phrase having no limitation as Limitation. Beeing fluid also means that you do not say things like "You attack, I block the attack and then attack you." That would be totally wrong. One principle of Jeet Kune Do is "No passive moves" which means that you should not block an attack without attacking at the same time." Something Bruce took from Wing Chun.

But do not think that the principles are dogmatic rules. So you can break them if it helps to find your own expression through the martial way!

For Bruce the individuall was the most important factor not the martial art/method.

Hope I could help.

Be everything. Be nothing.

There is a difference between Jeet Kune Do Concepts and Jeet Kune Do

Jeet Kune Do Concepts has a solid basis (Jun Fan Kung Fu) that consists of a solid curriculum.

After that has been learnt you ad elements from anything you want if it fits into the Jeet Kune Do principles. Although most principles are still broken in the Concepts way of thinking.

The Concepts people also missunderstand the phrase "Having no Limitation as Limitation." They think Bruce meant going fluidly into any fighting distance. The 5 fighting distances (kicking-,boxing-,infight-,throwing-,grappling- range) are an invention of Dan Inosanto!

Do not get me wrong I like the Jeet Kune Do Concepts approach alot!

Jeet Kune Do means with beeing fluid that you do not have a set approach in your mind to any situation and that you simply react without thinking but with a consoius mindset. That is also the explanation for the phrase having no limitation as Limitation. Beeing fluid also means that you do not say things like "You attack, I block the attack and then attack you." That would be totally wrong. One principle of Jeet Kune Do is "No passive moves" which means that you should not block an attack without attacking at the same time." Something Bruce took from Wing Chun.

But do not think that the principles are dogmatic rules. So you can break them if it helps to find your own expression through the martial way!

For Bruce the individuall was the most important factor not the martial art/method.

Hope I could help.

Nice post.

well if you know how to use those arts u just mentioned and they work for u, y not use them?

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu