• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional vs Modern vs Mixed Martial arts- streetfighting

There is so much controversy over this subject that I can't tell which best in real life streetfighting situations.

First there is the traditional martial arts which divided into hard and soft, internal and external etc is styles like Kung fu, Karate, Ninjitsu, Tai chi. These style go back many hundreds if not thousands of years and have kept with the traditional ways of defense and attack. Some can be used in Sports such as Karate, some were designed for pure combat and rarely get involved in competetion and some are just for meditation such as tai chi. They are also some times called Classical arts.

Then there are the Modern martial arts such as Krav Maga and Mushi Yudha which were designed to end situations quickly and are likely to end in death. It can also be learnt in a short time.

And finally there is Mixed martial arts which is were practioners take aspects of different martial arts and use them.

Which of thesehas better methodologiesthat are effective in streetfighting/ real life situations and which also cover things like fighting against opponents who are armed, and against multiple opponents. And which is good in closed areas, such as clubs and bars.

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My answer is probably not going to help you and is only my opinion.

In essence it is how you train not really what style you train in. In talking about streetfighting I gather you are talking about defending yourself on the street?

You need to find some one who has an understanding( and trains this understanding) of prefight psychology, awareness, pressure testing of techniques. This is just to begin with.

You need to find out a bit about yourself, what sort of fighting suits your body type, then cross train in some other styles to pick up other techniques.

If you are looking for something that will turn you into an invincible streetfighter, to dispell all your fears, then I'll save you some money and tell you that no system will do such a thing.

I practice a modern MA like JKD (which is also a MMA), and a classical art like karate and in the past I have practiced a modern MA like kickboxing and another 'classical art' like TCC.

If you are talking about self-defence I think that modern arts gives you the advantage of getting efficent faster than traditional arts. Traditional martial art may work as well for self-defence in the longer run. Traditional MA have more internal, cultural and phylosophical aspects you may enjoy resperct to modern MA.

This is my 2 eurocents anyhow...

TKD_Seanb and italian_guy thank you very much for your interest in my posts. I appreciate that and I think you have both made some valid points. I'll just go over both real quickly.

So TKD 2 things that you said that I need to get clear on

the first thing was: "You need to find out a bit about yourself, what sort of fighting suits your body type, then cross train in some other styles to pick up other techniques." How will I find out what fighting suits my body? I'm about 6ft tall.

The second thing was: "If you are looking for something that will turn you into an invincible streetfighter, to dispell all your fears, then I'll save you some money and tell you that no system will do such a thing." So what is martial art for if you can't learn how to prtect yourself.

Italian_guy do you think that in the longer run traditional martial arts would be better?

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

Just because you're not an invincible street fighter doesn't mean you can't defend yourself. :)

I think what he is saying is that you can learn many arts that will help you defend yourself in a street fight, but there is no art that will make you invincible, except perhaps Wing Chun :P Just kidding about the WC bit :karate: .

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Oh OK. Well I am aware that you can't be invincible but you can be a great fighter and have the ability to protect yourself almost perfectly but there are always bigger fish. All I wanted to know was if TMA is better long term for streetfighting.

Oh OK. Well I am aware that you can't be invincible but you can be a great fighter and have the ability to protect yourself almost perfectly but there are always bigger fish. All I wanted to know was if TMA is better long term for streetfighting.

With the TMA you are going to get results longterm only. How long term will depend on you, your chosen style and the quality of instruction that you receive.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

You almost answered your own question

Mixed Martial Artist have no egos and no single allegiance to any particular style. Sure, there are guys whos style reference reads "wrestling" "BJJ" or "Muay Thai"

In reality, these style references only point to where that particular fighters preference is, whether on the ground or on the feet.

A mixed martial artist takes the best things from different styles and trains in them to make the best possible fighter. Someone possessing the hand speed you get from boxing, the takedowns from wrestling, and the submissions from jiu jitsu has practically covered all aspects of an unarmed fight.