• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learning curve, or just me??

does anyone here find that sometimes they have an absolutely awful practice session? you just cant register which foot goes where, which hand goes up or down, etc, no matter how many times told?

i just had one of those today. the first one, infact, since starting aikido about a month and a bit ago. i know, when i first started everything was new (obviously) but i was fast-ish to pick up what went where, and a week ago i was obviously improving. today, i was totally incompetent! everything felt wrong, my sense of direction was just plain stupid, and sensei said that his dead grandmother could grip better than me. and he cant be younger than 70!!!

so apart from wanting to get this failiure of a day off my chest and subjecting you fine people to my ramblings, is this sort of day normal, once in a while? or am i just not very good!?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this sort of day normal, once in a while?
Absolutely! ;) I've had plenty of these days, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more. You just started, so don't be hard on yourself. These days will come and go - you'll see better sessions :) Just be patient and keep working hard.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

And these days will keep on coming; don't despair, it is quite normal - besides, Aikido is not the easiest martial art out there so you will have to get used to it. :)

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Believe me it's normal - especially if your a begginer in Aikido.

I myself started about 6 months ago and I sometimes still have trouble doing techniques that I have done many times before.

stay focused and get plenty of sleep that's my advice :) .

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

It happens in all worthwhile MA's, you'll have your good and bad days. And as for the motivation your GM was handing out, the dead grandmother thing, I have not heard an instructor go there in years. Must be an "old school" instructor. I like that.

Yeah I just had one of those days. I couldnt pick-up Tekki Nidan and Sandan katas as quickly as I expected which was quite frustrating. Went home and revised them with a book and feel alot better now!