• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i have low bodyfat, but my ab muscles arn't well-defined

i just went to a gym and get my bodyfat % tested, it turned out to be 12.2% body fat. I weigh 155lbs and I'm about 5'10". I look at myself differently than other people look at me i guess. But the point im gettin at is, i read on this website that having a bodyfat % lower than 13 should be enough for you abdominal muscles to form a 6-pack. Mine are NOT defined even at this bodyfat%. How/what do i do to change this fact? Is it simply that i must do more abdomnial workouts (ie. crunches/situps) or i need to run more?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'll never understand why some people get so worked up over a six-pack.

Anyway, a combination of crunches, a smaller caloric intake, and increased cardio will help you show your six-pack...

your bodyfat really isn't that low... isn't avg for males considered 12-15%? I remember reading that in order for them to be most visible, you need to be 10% or less. Also, they may not be developed enough to show through. I know people with well over 10% who have visible abs - perhaps they work them harder...

yea, i guess it could be that they arent worked enough. I dont really know much about this subject except for what i read on this forum and what i was told at the gym. 13% was supposed to be the "athletic" %, so i dunno. But i guess i just need to work them harder.

alot of people just dont have a 6pack. technically under the body fat, there should be a 6pack. but as you can see, alot of peoples 6packs differ, along with some people that just dont have muscles defined in such a way. not to sound discouraging, but I had that same problem, and i worked them like crazy, and even became obsessive over finally getting a 6pack...i ate perfect, did plenty of cardio, and lifted weights..but i still couldnt get much. my upper abs would show, but at best all i had was a 4pack.

my advice, try your hardest, but dont get discouraged if it doesnt pop up. worse case sinario is that your mid section will be in fantastic shape!

yea, i guess it could be that they arent worked enough. I dont really know much about this subject except for what i read on this forum and what i was told at the gym. 13% was supposed to be the "athletic" %, so i dunno. But i guess i just need to work them harder.

Average bodyfat percentage for a male is 10-15%, so you are right in the middle of average. Athletic is usually between 7-10%.

I have about 16% at the moment, and I have a visible 6 pack. I've delineated ab stuff in other posts, so you can do a search rather than me retyping everything again. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player