• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many hours a week are you at your dojo?

How many hours a week are you at your dojo?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours a week are you at your dojo?

• 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-10
    • 10 +

One thing I've noticed about people is how much many of them brag about how they go to martial arts class X days a week. I think it is great to be able to attend class as much as possible. However, unless you have the time to practice by yourself, you're not really getting the necessary free space for your own development. Don't get me wrong. I love going to class and having the opportunity to discuss concepts and techniques as well as train with my instructor and other students.

Wow....the only time I have heard that is from a student whos dojo didn't believe in having the Instructor interact with its students like in even the lightest forms of sparring or teaching. I later learned that student claimed to beat his Instructor 50% of the time when he sparred with him a few times.

I told the student if your master can not impress you at all, and if he can not 100% destory you in sparring or real life combat then what makes you believe he is worthy of teaching you.

I am not trying to be mean, just blunt....but are you having issues with how or what your Instructor is teaching you? Just wondering and do you think he/she could beat you in a sparring game...after all we are all here to learn how to defend ourself, and achieve peace. But I would like to see a Master who can teach both instead of one.

Apparently you missed my point completely (no offense). I have no issues whatsoever with the way my instructor teaches. In fact, I believe his method is far better than many other instructors I have come across.

(I'm going to quote a previous quote of mine describing how my classes are)

To give you a rundown, my classes are 2 1/2 hours long, which allows for flexibility. The atmosphere is extremely relaxed and nothing is really planned ahead of time. In the beginning, we usually have self-stretching that will invariably involve chatting and exchanging of stories or martial arts discussion.

There are perhaps never more than five or six of us on most days and we usually split up into groups or individual training for some of the time following. Our instructor will take one or several or all of us and go over kata, principles, weapons, or drills (or any thing else he has in mind, or he simply asks us what we want to do).

Other times, me and other students will do some kata (with or without Sensei watching) and either discuss things that come to mind, practice bunkai or give any other observations occur as we do it. We also may do drills or other training that we feel like we want to emphasize at the moment. I find this format really helps students to think on their own while still providing an instructor's oversight as he participates and trains with us as well. The small group format really facilitates discussion and the lack of a rigid discipline structure allows for free exchange of ideas. As such, self-discipline is something that is needed (my instructor doesn't train people under 15 years of age at the moment). It also really helps Sensei to tailor the training to each individual, which is how it was traditionaly taught.

At the very end of practice, Sensei will try to have at least 20-30 minutes or so of kata practice with all of us together.

It isn't uncommon for us to go out to eat afterwards or stick around and chat for a while either. I much prefer this style of dojo, not just because it is truly more traditional in its orientation, but because I feel it is far more effective, not to mention more friendly and relaxed.

And let me emphasize how open my instructor is to interaction, criticism or simply new ideas. This helps to foster an analytical approach to martial arts rather than a simple blind acceptance of everything. Unlike some instructors I have come across, he is still learning. What I mean by this is often some people reach a stage where they feel comfortable enough to simply "rest on their laurels" (and their skill level may be quite good, in fact) and stop learning. He does not.

To answer the other part of your question, I have no doubt he could kill me rather easily or destroy me in a sparring session. Simply put, he is very good at what he does.

But again, my point was that instruction from a teacher is practically a necessity. You will never see me say otherwise. At the same time, instruction needs to be supplemented by individual reflection, analysis, and growth on the part of the student. Fortunately, I am able to accomplish this even in class time due to the way the class is structured. I as simply saying many class structures do not allow for this nor do people really take the time to do it at home.

Another part of my original post was something sdargie nailed on the head when he compared it to learning music at home so you are ready for band practice. As I said in the post earlier in this thread, it wasn't to denounce class time, but "getting as much done outside of class ensures the most gets done during class."

This was all part of a greater notion of the difference between merely training in martial arts and learning martial arts. I believe if you read my original post carefully, you will easily see the difference in and thrust of my post.

I hope this clears things up for you. I'm not trying to patronize you here, just that you concluded the exact opposite of how I feel about my instructor and his way of teaching.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total of 7.5 hours of MA a week

2 x 2.5 in karate

2 x 1.25 in JKD.

Total 7.5 h/week.

Heh, I'm at my dojo roughly 25-30 hrs a week working, with about 3 of those training, with another 2 hrs a week training when the dojo's not open with other black belts outside of the regular schedule.

So I suppose I train 5 hrs a week, but aside from that I live there ;)

"Question oneself, before you question others"

10 hours of training a week (3 of BJJ, 5 of TSD, 2 of Escrima), so I put 7-10, but I'm actually in my TSD Dojang for about 16 hours a week, helping teach.

Passion transcends pain.

On average, I'd say 8 hours a week. Hopefully this year I can spend more time there.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

I train / teach 2-3 hours per day, 6 days per week, soon to be 7.

You going to be open on Sundays? Who else here teaches on Sunday?

My school teaches on Sundays. We're open 7 days a week, and are being forced to open earlier and stay later just because our student count keeps rising, and we need to split the classes.

My school teaches on Sundays. We're open 7 days a week, and are being forced to open earlier and stay later just because our student count keeps rising, and we need to split the classes.

May I ask your student count? How many instructors do you have?

<<<>>>

Edited by KempoTiger