• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bicycling

The pedaling motion especially when clipped in causes you to use your muscles in such a way that your hamstrings tighten up. This is true, but I have been cycling for a few years now and average around 50 miles a ride at least 5-6 days a week. I can still do the splits.

Yeah, it doesn't affect you if you keep up a stretching regimen as well. Probably won't affect his dad as much either due to the low mileage, I was just giving some general stuff from when I competed. :D

I kinda like being an alarmist at times. :lol:

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Your dad may want to find a longer but somewhat flatter way home. Big hills might prove too discouraging for a beginning cyclist.

Aodhan brings up some really good points. Up to 40% of traffic fatalities (in Japan), are when pedestrians and cars meet. With this in mind, your dad would want to be visible to car drivers and always wear a helmet.

My dad doesn't mind the hills, he walks up them... Oh, did I mention he used to bike home from work in Japan with my sister (who was a baby-this was a pretty long time ago) in the basket in the back? He also got hit once. His bike came with a required reading book about safety. The bike sales guy was telling us about all the people he scared when he biked... He would bang on the back of their cars if they cut him off to scare them. :lol:

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 2 weeks later...

I have been cycling for a couple of years, and last year I talked my 62 year old dad into training for a 50 mile ride with some boys from my son's scout troop. He has diabetes, and needed to take insulin 4 times a day. The doctor said exercise would help him. The first time we went out he was shaking after 4 miles, but he went out and bought a bike and helmet the next day. We trained together a couple of times a week, but he started riding at home on the other days. He never thought he could do 50, but having that goal, and a couple of months to work up to it proved he could. He was an inspiration to these teen boys that could barely keep up with him. Well after that he was hooked. He bought a fancy bike that has the clip pedals. He competed in the Senior olympics in our area and won a bronze medal. And this spring he did a century ride for charity. His heart is stronger, and he only needs insulin once day, and he has lost 20 pounds. His doctor is estatic, and uses him to inspire other patients. Here are some tips for your dad.

1. Make sure the doctor knows what he is doing.

2. Get him a heart rate monitor (you can find a decent one for $50-$100, look for one that alarms if you go too high, and has an average heartrate) and help him find out his maximum zone. This has several advantages. One, if he is going too hard, he can slow down or stop. Two, he can see improvements over time. My dad thinks it is cool how much quicker his heart rate recovers from doing the hills than it used to.

3. Make sure he is taking precautions like taking a cell phone, id card, couple dollars, and repair kit for fixing flats and stuff. Also he needs to stay well hydrated and prepared for the weather.

4. Make sure he knows to stretch. Especially his hamstrings because they will get tight, and keeping them flexible will help him avoid injury.

All in all it is a great exercise for everyone. My dad is having the time of his life. He is training to take the gold at the senior olympics this year, and another century after that. Don't worry about the pedals. It only takes a couple of falls before your remember to clip out before stopping :D I think it is great that your dad is moving. Encourage him because it is better to move than grow old and never move out of the recliner.

Blessings

Psychomom :karate:

note that bicycling applies great pressure on your kidneys on the long run, and they give you less flexibility in your hamstrings i.e. no more high kicks for you if you stop practice

note that bicycling applies great pressure on your kidneys on the long run, and they give you less flexibility in your hamstrings i.e. no more high kicks for you if you stop practice

Uhm...where do you get the thought that bicycling puts a lot of pressure on the kidneys?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

whops wrong thread - please delete

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.