Most influential martial artists

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chen Zhen, the Chen Zhen Bruce Lee portrayed in Chinese Connection inspired pride in the Chinese workers in America. There's no way to prove this, but I'm sure it made many of them more aware of their rich martial ars background.

Gichin Funakoshi was one of the main men that brought Okinawan Karate out into the open.

General Choi Hong Hi, helped create modern Tae Kwon Do, one of the most popular martial arts in the world.

They aren't so much martial artists as some of the most recent promoters of the martial art. The Walchowski brothers. A whole generation will never forget the phrase, "I know Kung Fu"

Mas Oyama (Yong I-Choi), an amazing Korean man who created a Japanese art. His physical prowess is amazing, but surrounded by a lot of myth. Still a remarkable measuring stick for strikers.

There are tons of others.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Ok I will make my (personal) list.

Bruce Lee

C. Mijagi (not sure about the spelling on this)

Morio Higaonna

Dan Inosanto

W.Wallace

C. Norris

... and maybe others...

• 1 year later...

I must say that Morio Higaonna is the absolute most humble individual I have ever met. No arrogance whatsoever. He is pure and true to the martial arts. I do not think anybody alive today possess his qualities not only as a person but as a true Karate master. Don Vieira

pain is weakness leaving the body.....moo ichi do.......A black belt is a white belt that did not give up.

In no particular order, some of the people that helped popularise martial arts over the years.

Bruce Lee

Chuck Norris

Jackie Chan

Jean Claud Van Damme (unfortunately)

Steven Segal

Jet Li

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Power Rangers

Joe Esposito (Karate Kid)

Gichin Funakoshi

Mas Oyama

Gogan Yamaguchi

Jigaro Kano

Ed Parker

Cascius Clay (Mohamad Ali)

Royce Gracy

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

er, i think you will find that ralph macchio was the karate kid. joe esposito was in power rangers (no i didnt know that i looked it up, well i knew the ralph macchio part)

dont forget christopher lambert

also you have the likes of the MK and Street Fighter games that would have had some influence

Now you use head for something other than target.

i won't make a list because there are so many from so many different styles, but nice thread. jigoro kano and anko itosu stand out for me though, they've both really influenced the styles i practice. itosu was much more influential than funakoshi IMO. mustn't forget helio gracie either.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

i won't make a list because there are so many from so many different styles, but nice thread. jigoro kano and anko itosu stand out for me though, they've both really influenced the styles i practice. itosu was much more influential than funakoshi IMO. mustn't forget helio gracie either.

What Funakoshi did was based off his experiences with Itosu, if I remember my history correctly. Inform me if I am wrong. I think, though, that Itosu did it first in Okinawa (introducing into schools) and Funakoshi did it in Japan.