CQC

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not completely sure how its involved, but I read in a health article that cycling a lot makes it harder for you to run, and move like normal.

I didnt have time to read the whole article though....

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll definately take it into consideration.

And yeah, I still train my abs every day, but usually try and divide it up by working upper and lower different days. And I'm 20, so yeah. =)

The main reason I weight train 5 days a week (or so) and don't combine muscle groups in my workout is due to lack of time. I only have roughly 30 minutes or bit more to hit the weights, and I like to hit them hard, so I try and focus on only one group per day. We'll see how things though, so.

I'll give a quick run down of reps, too. Someone can correct me if they feel that the information is incorrect.

1-5 reps primarily develop strength with less impact on muscle size and not really any on endurance.

6-12 reps develop a balance of strength, muscle size and endurance.

13-20 reps develop muscle size, and great endurance, with less of an impact on strength.

20+ reps is considered more of an aerobic exercise than anything else, I think.

I personally do sets of 12, I find that works best for what I'd like to achieve.

Oh, and as for the cutting, I've cut milk out of my diet a bit (I used to drink a litre or so, maybe more with my protein) and I've found I've really lost a lot of fat, which is great. I've also been eating mainly complex carbs for dinner, which seems to be helping as well.

Thanks again for all the replies!

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

- John Dryden

I dont think so, most people I know who swim are in perfect shape and can run pretty fast.

Cant say the same for cyclists though

If you can find the article, I'd be happy to read it. I've never heard such a thing about cycling. In fact, most nutritionists will recommend the use of a stationary bike to weight loss and leg strengthening.

no, actually, it does help a lot with strengthtening the legs, it also helps to lose weight, but there was something about it being counterproductive for movement. something to do with making it harder to run and move.

I'll see if I can find it

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Hey,

Sorry to sound negative :-) I see workouts like this all of the time and it makes me laugh! You devote a whole day to your biceps/chest/Triceps and only half a day to your legs! Your calfs, quads and hams are a large group of muscles and deserve your attention! Look around on the internet for workouts grouped by movement and not by body-part, also try to concentrate on compound lifts. Good Luck :-)

Liam.

no, actually, it does help a lot with strengthtening the legs, it also helps to lose weight, but there was something about it being counterproductive for movement. something to do with making it harder to run and move.

I'll see if I can find it

Probably has to do with the fact that cycling for long distances tends to shorten the hamstrings. Shouldn't be a factor if you keep up your normal stretching regimen.

You'll see this in triathletes a lot, when they are getting ready to transition from bike to run, they are standing on the pedals and stretching out the hams, a few will even run backwards for a ways to help stretch them out.

Long term cycling can affect mobility if you do nothing else and don't stretch, but if you keep up an effective stretching routine it shouldn't bother your movement at all.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player