• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GRK International

SBSD

When I first started in the summer we did some formal strikes, blocks and kick combinations. So that one student would strike whilst the other would block followed by a reversal of this situation.

I found this to be really useful as although it is false and artificial it really helped me with applying my blocks to an actual strike etc. Or trying to punch an opponant as opposed to nothing.

Is this the kind of prearranged formal combinations you are refering to?

Its a simple, basic example, but yes its a step in the right direction. Remember though that these drills need to vary in form (rather than just the same one all the time) and must constitute a significant portion of your regular training to be of any real use to you.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've been away for a while, as I moved house at the beginning of the year and have only just had time recently (inbetween DIY jobs) to start surfing the net again!

As you may remember last time I posted I was moving to Stafford and looking for a new dojo. I managed to find a GKR dojo near to where I live and thought before I changed styles, I would give it a couple of lessons and see how it went.

What I have found is that the karate taught varies from region to region. My new Sensei teaches the GKR system, but also adds in extra instruction that is outside the basic GKR syllabous. We use focus pads and also a bag, we also do 5 step sparring something which is missing from the standard GKR approach. He is also very precise in his teaching of kata and often makes us repeat a form over and over until it is correct.

Having attended a few lessons since moving I have decided to stay with GKR and see where it takes me. I am enjoying my training, I read around as well, so I feel I am getting a balance in my karate.

oooh I remember go kan ryu.

I trained it until I got bored, when I joined my current dojo I realised I was bored because of the lack of fighting.

I was also amazed when I went to a GKR tournament in Sydney and only five people from south australia, the supposed birth place of the style, went... all were from the dojo I went to. More people came from new zealand than from SA. It seemed to me if our dojo was the most active in the state and I felt bored then karate wasn't for me, took me years of no martial arts at all before I realised I just wasn't getting the right karate.

When I joined my new dojo the 13 year old there was able to kick my butt with ease in sparring, that really impressed me and showed me how little I learnt at GKR.

We recently got a new guy in our dojo who also did GKR in the same dojo I went to, he had all the same problems I had when restarting. Most notably he'd apologise when he'd get a good hit in, I did the same thing. When we did this the people we apologised to were dumbfounded, they told us if we did something well we should be proud instead of apologetic, it didn't phase them because they were used to being hit.

I just wish I found the right place to train. When I realised how little I learnt and the years I wasted afterwards thinking MAs were boring it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

"Don't eat muffins when i'm developing you!" - Black Books