• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Zen anyone ?

meditation is many things to many different people. this is evident from all the responses to this post. one post stated that meditation would not help you until you've practiced at least one year possibly two. i'm not sure i agree. although i am certain the more you do it the better. well as long as you try to abide by the old saying "all things in moderation". we all know that to much of a good thing is bad right? meditation is no different. practice in moderation. you can't lift weights 7 days a week 2 hours a day and expect to have a healthy body. i would be willing to bet that you could take just about anyone, teach them to breath deep and relax, and after only a few minutes if done correctly they will tell you they feel somewhat different. some would say "i feel sleepy" some would say " i feel really relaxed" i'm certain there would be a change somewhat anyway. when you combine deep breathing and relaxing the mind you cannot get away from the physical changes that take place whithin the body. its not all about a spiritual change. certain inevitable things happen to the body when you begin to meditate. i've said all this to say that even with the first good session of meditation if done correctly, will bring about some sort of change. most likely a more relaxed (but alert) state of mind. i use this analogy to explain to people sometimes. if you and i were trying to have a conversation, say over the phone or face to face. do you think you could focus and concentrate on what i was saying if one of your friends came by and started talking at the same time we were having our conversation? two people talking to you at once. could you really listen to both at the same time? no, none of us can. so if thats the case then how can we totally focus on what we are doing if the mind is constantly engaged in other thought? we can't. when you are doing kata or sparring or whatever, if the mind is racing with other thoughts you truelly can't devote 100 percent attention to detail. when you meditate you try to clear the mind of unwanted thoughts or images, once you begin to practice this then you can observe clearly. maybe for some it does take years, but from my experience meditation pays off instantly. of course the longer we practice the better we get at it. i mean the first time yo do it is like the first time you try a new kata or form. it takes lots of practice to be effecient. but you're still getting a good work out from day one. anyway meditation is a great tool for anyone. but especially for a martial artist. think about it, your learning techniques that could injure possibly kill someone. do you really want to be going around in a constant state of mind that could cloud your judgement at a critical time? i certainly do not.

OBSERVATION

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beleive mediating simply to be the act of total relaxation, let your mind let go of all stress and your body go limp. almost to the point oif 'oh..a nap sounds good right about now" XD

I've used mediation to remember things that I've momentarily forgotten. I've used meditation right after I wake u, it is great right after a good stretch session. Then I take a light nap and then eat breakfast XD gone into a bit of detail there huh >.>

I've become rather good at meditating even when up and doing stuff..i think, or maybe that's just the effect of mediating often..you start to feel like you're ALWAYS meditating XD

The stretching helps and the meditating well..it's just a good way of stress releif other then imagining you're kicking someone's behind :P

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

• 1 month later...

zazen reminds you that you are a buddhist. as a buddhist you vow to be skillful in all endeavors (100% of yourself in every moment).

I'm sure that helps my training, but to think i'd sit zazen for 45 minutes, then have some "enlightened" understanding of my training is ridiculous.

also zazen doesn't begin to benefit after 2 years lol. each breath of your zazen is your benefit. understanding that the moment you live in is all you really have... is your benefit.

if you're looking for enlightenment, zazen probably isn't for you. i mean unless you find sitting on a pillow facing a wall to be generally enlightening

• 3 months later...

wonderful comments on zen, however, if you practice zen for a benefit you miss the whole point of zen. The purpose of zazen is not to 'get' anything, but to just sit. My zen teacher would tell us that zen is worthless. It is good for nothing. I often thought, why even practice then. Now I understand. If you practice zazen with a purpose of benefit in mind your mind is split. It's like a receiver in football who keeps turning his head just before he is to catch the ball. His mind is on the benefit of touchdown...but he forgets to catch the ball! He therefore not only can't score, but doesn't even catch the ball. His mind is split into two directions and this is not zen. zen is to be here now and simply catch the ball. If you want to improve your concentration, or relax better or calm the mind or improve your sidekick, there are a lot of ways to do this. But to use zazen in this manner is a misunderstanding of zen practice.

Now, don't get me wrong. Benefits do come from zen practice, but these come naturally and don't need to be chased. Just catch the ball. Just be here now and trust the process of watching the breath come and go.

Now that I've muddied the waters it is best I shut up.

• 4 weeks later...

I began Zen in 1959, at the Zen Mission on the Lunillilo Freeway in Honolulu. We also had martial arts on the premises. We learned the correct way to practice, and we learned how to use it in conjunction with our karate.

Today I see it is a very disassociated practice. people trying to do what they think is Zen and being miles away from doing anything like Zen practice.

One part of the problem is the teachers don't know zen (as a rule) and so don't know how to use it in the dojo.

My advice is to go find a real, realized Zen teacher. Ask them if they can help you use it in conjunction with a MA. If they are a valid Roshi, follow their instruction. Briefly: Zen, or any other Buddhist training can take you to a state of consciousness. Being in that state of consciousness and doing your art makes a 1000% difference.

I mediate in the way of ZEN everyday , and yes it helps largely in my martial arts.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Your zen mind is your everyday mind. Understand that there is no goal removed from you to reach in zen, the journey ends up with you at the end.

Bill Kephart: Chito-ryu Karate, Boxing

Contributer-Arthur's hall of Viking Manliness http://www.arthurshall.com/index.shtml

Moderator-Arthur's Viking Forum http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/arthurshall/index.php

• 5 months later...

I don't meditate regularly, but when I do, I find that it relaxes me. I have not yet noticed a difference in my training because of it, however.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert