• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training Several MAs

I have been training for over 20 years. however, I currently train in multiple styles, several days per week.

I'm training / teaching thai boxing 4 days per week

in a judo class 2 days per week

in a capoeira class 2 days per week.

in bjj / submission wrestling 2-3 days per week.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagined doing tkd and tang so do same time though. THat would be awekward becaue of diffrent rules and variations of how to do stuff. maybe your at your other school and you do a move form the school you trained at before it can be frusterating.

You are right. I don't think I would do TKD and TSD at the same time. I agree that would be very confusing ... in my experience anyways. I would crosstrain in Judo or Jujitsu again if I had the chance. It would be a good mix with TKD (I know Judo was).

Laurie F

I cross train Goju ryu karate and JKD, and I have no problems. They are different enaugh not to make confusion... Probably there are situations where you can make some confusion (like two different karate styles at the same time) but I think that cross training is mostly beneficial. About the others two arts in my curriculum I did them in the (near) past.

Laurie,

Know any good jujitsu schools :brow: ?

I'm game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)

I wish. I looked and I didn't find any. But then again, some schools don't advertise. I'm still looking, though. If I find one, I'll definitely let you know :karate:

Laurie F

I have been training for over 20 years. however, I currently train in multiple styles, several days per week.

I'm training / teaching thai boxing 4 days per week

in a judo class 2 days per week

in a capoeira class 2 days per week.

in bjj / submission wrestling 2-3 days per week.

Very impressive. My hat off to you for staying sane. May I ask what job you are able to have while doing ten training sessions a week? I think it would be difficult to do any job while you are exerting yourself that much physically.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

Yeah elbows and knees is pretty extream!

I tried training in 4 different arts on a 6 day week training schedule at one stage and my body just started falling apart after a few months.

Now I do Daidojuku twice a week. MuayThai once, and jujitsu whenever I can squeeze a lesson in to my tight work schedule. I wish I could just quit my job and train full time, but I have a wife and bills!

I've always had a problem limiting myself to 1 art. If I had just stuck to 1 for the 15 years that i've been training I'd be alot higher ranking than I am now and alot more skilled in 1 limited way of fighting and thinking. I've made some mistakes and wasted alot of years on inpractical methods of training but in the end I think I've come out alot more of an allrounded and capable martial artist for it.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

Very impressive. My hat off to you for staying sane. May I ask what job you are able to have while doing ten training sessions a week? I think it would be difficult to do any job while you are exerting yourself that much physically.

I actually have two jobs - I know how to manage time well, and the ma schedule works perfectly. I am a web designer by day and bouncer by night (that one is only part time though). the reason the classes are able to work like that is that they are generally back to back, although with different instructors. IMO, it's not much physical exertion. I am also in the gyme 3-5 dyas a week - I go the the facility gym on my lunch break.

monday - thai boxing - 6:30 - 8. If I don't coach some of the other guys afterward, then I will do bjj from 8 - 10.

tuesday - judo - 6:30 - 8. bjj 8 - 10

wednesday - thai boxing - 6:30 - 8, capoeira, 8-10

thursday - thai boxing - 6:30 - 8, takedown class (wrestling) 8 - 10

friday - capoeira - 7 - 9

saturday, thai boxing 1 - 2:30, open mat bjj / judo 2:30 - 4

I work mon - fri, 9-5, so classes don't star until after work. the night job is generally from 10pm - 6am, fri - sun. when I work during the week, I have to cut one of the classes short because I have to go in at 9.