• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How should I workout?

Mervyn

Cobosan, do you know what weight people our size should be (I don't)?

IF 2.2 pounds is a kilo than the "optimal" weight would be 215 pounds. In our mesurements CENTIMETERS its the equation of X cm - 100 = Y kg ( kilograms ), I am 199 cm ( 6"6 )- 100 = 99 kg ( 218 pounds ).

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Blab of Buyseech - My blog for Martial Arts and Marketing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight training is essential to building size and strength. In addition, you need to inhale protein. Eat lots of carbs before a workout, lots of protein after a workout. Over the course of the day, you probably want to eat the same number of grams of protein as the number of pounds you weigh. This will build size, and with proper weight training will build strength.

That's the most general description I can give. If you guys have more specific questions, feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to offer what advice I can.

Thank you for this easy to follow plan. I have a question though; how many meals per day do u preffer and what should be the time between theese meals ( 2 hours 3 hours ? ). How long before a workout should u last eat ( the carbs ) and how long after the workout the prots. ( I heard somewherwe 1 hour before training and imediately after . Is this true ?

Thanx again

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Thank you for this easy to follow plan. I have a question though; how many meals per day do u preffer and what should be the time between theese meals ( 2 hours 3 hours ? ). How long before a workout should u last eat ( the carbs ) and how long after the workout the prots. ( I heard somewherwe 1 hour before training and imediately after . Is this true ?

Thanx again

Personally, I prefer 4 "meals" and a couple snacks a day. Breakfast is usually a PB&J sandwich, 1 or two yogurts and a piece of fruit. Snack midmorning is usually nuts and/or fruit, fairly decent sized lunch (Generally my biggest meal of the day) around midday, another snack (cottage cheese, protein shake, etc), workout, then dinner, generally a protein source(meat, chicken, turkey, etc) and veggies.

Your body will most readily use protein to rebuild if you take within 1/2 hour or so after a workout, so a protein shake right after you work out would be good. I don't eat after 8pm or so as well.

There are any number of protein grams/body weight calculators out there, as well as diet plans, etc. I find a 55% carbs (or so), 30% protein and 15% fat ratio works best for me.

You also need to know how many calories you expend in a day. For 3 or 4 days write down EVERYTHING you eat. That includes the 1/2 a stale donut you stole from a co-worker. :D. Then go to any number of websites (Fitday.com is a decent one, no affiliation), and plug in your food. This will tell you how much calories you took in.

Do the same thing with your workouts for a week, and estimate your expenditure. This will tell you the number of calories you need just to maintain weight (Most good calculators will ask you weight, height, etc to calculate basal rates). If you want to gain weight, adding 750-1000 calories a day will add between one and two pounds a week. If you sit on your butt, they will be fat pounds. If you add weights or other workouts, they will be quality pounds. (In general, as with everything, YMMV).

As with everything, 95% of it depends on you and how your body reacts. What works for me, may or may not work for you. Figure out a bunch of different workouts, times, eating methods, etc. and see what works best for what you want to do.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

by the way, some of you mentioned your 15. dont stress yourself too much over this, because your still young and building your body. hell, im 17, and i shouldnt be stressing myself over this to much. so, take your time, and becareful.

i also heard a rumor that if you workout before your 16, it can stunt your growth, not sure, but keep that in mind. stay healthy, and listen to your body. take care, and someone if im wrong, correct me please.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

i also heard a rumor that if you workout before your 16, it can stunt your growth

Should've used that last year, huh? Hehe...

And yes, I've thought that it might be I'm still young yet...I was, afterall , a rather late bloomer as far as height, bulk, etc.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I agree with the age "warning". IT is deffinetly true that one should wait until he is full grown and developed before he does any real weight training or fitness.

When i was in athletics all of my team-mates that werent 18 or over didnt see the weight room let alone train in it.

Some people reach their max height at an early age ( 14-15 ) some later (18-20 ). I myself grew 7 inches between my 15 and 16 year ( thats a lot :) ) so wait a while you youngsters there will be a lot of time to pump those muscles :D

i also heard a rumor that if you workout before your 16, it can stunt your growth, not sure, but keep that in mind. stay healthy, and listen to your body. take care, and someone if im wrong, correct me please.

It's not really a rumor, although it is a bit misleading.

When you are still growing, you have plates towards the end of each bone, called epiphyseal plates. This is where growth occurs as new bone is laid down. That's how an X-Ray can tell if you've stopped growing, by the disappearance of this section.

If you have really strong muscles (See most elite gymnasts), it can * the growth of the bone. Doesn't have much impact, although if you really train heavy I suppose you could lose an inch or so.

If you want to train while you are still growing, get with a personal trainer (Certified!) to lay out a core program that will help build some strength without being too restrictive. Definitely lay off the really heavy lifting until you've stopped growing.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Crossfit.com has people who can answer everything you're asking, as to the person who said they're afraid of breaking their wrists due to being so small, if you use weights in the way they prescribe on CF then it will increase your bone density and ligament/tendons stronger which will make it a lot harder to hurt yourself, plus just punching things will work too.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Didn't read every post here but......muscle mass isn't always a good thing. It is to a degree, but if you have extremely large muscles it doesn't mean your super strong. Muscle tissues are actual more dense than they are massive. My body is proof. I weigh 125-ish and can do 90 lbs on arm curls. My friend who weighs about 170, very muscular football guy who can bench 200 lbs, can only do 80 lbs on arm curls.

The game of war is ended with a closed fist

Wars are ended with an open fist.