• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is it fair??

jiyaku-san

is it fair to go to second dan before you are 18?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. is it fair to go to second dan before you are 18?

• yes
    • no
    • only for special surcumstances

i was just wondering do any other clubs forbid going to second dan or higher before they are 18? a girl in one of my classes got her second dan not long ago and she is fifteen. she has only been training for 5 or so years

live by karate, live for karate, live karate...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was just wondering do any other clubs forbid going to second dan or higher before they are 18? a girl in one of my classes got her second dan not long ago and she is fifteen. she has only been training for 5 or so years

Well...second dan in 5 years is really few...specially for a fifteen ager...she's probably a genius or where you live they are not so picky as in Italy. Me, with the same years of training i'm still a brown belt even if my instructor say i've good qualities...:karate:

By the way...in Italy until you reach 18 you cant test for first dan.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

Well...second dan in 5 years is really few...specially for a fifteen ager...she's probably a genius or where you live they are not so picky as in Italy. Me, with the same years of training i'm still a brown belt even if my instructor say i've good qualities...:karate:

By the way...in Italy until you reach 18 you cant test for first dan.

No it has been lowered to 16 (in FILJKAM) but then you need to stay at least 3 years as shodan before you can test for nidan. So in Italy it would be impossible.

Are you with FILJKAM Jade?

Yes...and actually i was not sure about 18 or 16 as the minimum age....but with our federation would be reallly impossible to be a second dan in 5 years... :o

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

The earliest you could do it here would be 18, and that's if you received your shodan at 16 (minimum age + 2 year requirement). I don't know if there is also an age requirement for nidan.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

You can test for BB at any age with us, however ur grading time between 1st and 2nd dan [normally 2 years] is doubled... so unless u get ur BB REALLY young, u generally dont make it to 2nd dan that early on.

You can't test for shodan unless you are 13 in our dojo , 18 is the minimum for nidan .

Is it fair to become nidan at age 15 after 5 years for training ???????? HE^L NO . It took me 6 years to become shodan !

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike