• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ways to beat someone bigger

ive had a couple of classes in BJJ, like maybe 10, and there are these 3 kids who also came in around the same time as me. two of them are brothers and really big kids (strenght wise) and the other whihc is a friend weighs around the same as me ( 150-160 pounds) i cant get the brothers off me when we sparr, and when they grab me and hold me, they squeeze and it hurts. any tips to beating these kids, i cant seem to move them. thanks a lot :D

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make them work and wear them out while conserving your energy. Usually bigger people will gas faster as a rule of thumb...just kind of play with them but always keep an eye out for an opening...I like taking the back of larger guys...try an arm drag if they are in your gaurd.

ankle locks work well against people of all sizes...especially if your on top.

I think his problem might be more that they smother him...and once they are on top hes not strong enough to get them back into a position where he can use any locks or chokes. I'm not really sure what to suggest. The advantage of a small person is that they are always more nimble than the heavy guys. It would seem to me therefore to be imperative that if they are on top you must get your legs around them. Try not to end up with your arms down at your side also as it becomes very hard to raise them once they are.

Long Live the Fighters!

If they are mounted on your chest on your face smothering you. try the elbow escape from teh guard then the hip bump one. or try both but if it isn't working relax and wait till the oppenent goes for something. basically moving his right some times when going for stuff people move there weight to the left or right giving you a chance to trap of there base and do the hip bump. Or switch for elbow escape or go out the back door. try to relax and feel were the person is weight is at.

More you learn about postions and how to secure them and move your body the better you will do.

so what postion does the bigger guys have on you?

also if you want go to bjj.org or there are other sites as well like onthemat.com where they have vidoe's of diffrent postions or competions. You can see probably same postions you been put in and how the people in the competion or technique vid's get out of them. what techniques they use as controling the opponents hips or head or how they apply there weight on them to control the postions.

also you can try https://www.mma.tv go the atama jiu-jitsu forum on there and post a questions there some good practioners who give good tips. form member jonpall or andreh are really good on giving advice.

hope this helps.

I dont know any BJJ techniques but maybe concentrating all of your energy on one spot on their body usualy makes them have to change to a more defense strategie. I dont think that would work at all on a trained professional though.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i know this is kind of old, but i gotta better and have resisted more. thanks a lot for the help. i had a problem with them squeezing my neck, that would hurt. also choking me with thier chest. but i have gotten better and am lasting loner. ill try adn keep you updated, especially if i choke em out, lol. thanks a lot.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

well first off don't stay flat always move you hips make space. And the rest really comes down to not enough mat time. In time you will be able to control the tempo and play your game. When they are in your guard go for a sweep, if they have side control try to get your gaurd back, is this Gi or no Gi?

Josh Koscheck the human blanket

If you know how to use it the butterfly guard is very good against bigger opponents because there are alot of sweeps and more leverage than the closed guard

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

sounds like your opponent is mounted on you work your knee&elbow escapes as well as upa (hip bump escape) in combination with each other. Half guard is a good postion for me to work on with bigger guys because I can turn them over easier with that postion then with guard or go and take the back and go for rear naked or arm bar.

whats some of your postions that the big guys get you in that you have the most trouble with?