• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any shaolin Kempo people out there?

Adonis

is the right hand thats grabbing the wrist doing the lock in the same postion as the one in the picture sounds like you would have to reach akewardly to put the hand on top before you turn it over in that positon

as opposed to parrying it more away and down with the left are and them grabbing it with the palm down with the right hand. bending the hand down and into the wrist or turning it over to the elbow joint of the attackers is facking up and your palm of your wrist that you turned the attackers wrist or arm is facing up.

you know what Mean or did I am not describe it to clearnly.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grappling is kind of a side-bar. It isn't something we heavily train on (well, us instructors do) but more of something different for the kids once in a while. We don't want them to freeze the first time they are taken to the ground in a headlock, so we prepare them for that.

Now, for the instructors, we grapple pretty often. Usually, our sparring will degrade to that during black belt class. Quick foot sweep and then the grappling really begins. We go to submission.

Fu sheng wu lian tianzun

2nd Dan - Shaolin Kempo

Drunken Master's Classic Kung Fu Theater | DojoZen.com

thats good. I just wanted to ask. because I know as in shaolin kenpo least villari's linage when talks about creating the style he talks about four ranges.

so I was curious about people on here and detailed or technical each school is on diffrent ranges. I found some of the schools I was at they weren't detailed much on the grappling range.

when I visited my family when I was on leave from the military. I was stopped by to talk to my friend and old instructor for shaolin kempo and I noticed only a few people take the grappling class actually just a handful of people take it. which are the ones that just take that class and thats what they are there for. where the peopole in the regular programs learning shaolin kempo didn't take it. It was very noticiable on the tests as well when they had to go to grappling they couldn't even get out of basic mount or guard postions very well.

when I teach that is part of the belt requirements I show them least the basics of getting out of those postions. to at least stand back up and keep the fight standing.

true don't want to do that.

yeah the instructor was pissed off after the test becaue of it.

I watched a belt test when I was at his school a couple months ago when I was visting family while I was on leave.

Only take down they really knew how to do was the hock down. (sweeping with the back leg against the opponents front leg.) to bad they didn't know how to set up the move when the opponent offers resistance so must of the time there body was to far from the opponent so when they bring that leg up for the trip they are off balance opponent has to do is shove them or push them and they fall over.

thats when learning some judo and wrestling take downs would help. Oh well!

Right! You need more take downs then that. Hock can't always work.

I hate it when someone can't show anything besides the hock. It's okay when you're a purple belt, but much later than that, you should be able to apply what you've learned in your combinations (e.g. 2, 18, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 19) and apply them to your Kempos. By the time you're green stripe or 3rd brown, you should have at least 10 different ways readily available to take someone to the ground.