• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Karate/Band Compromise

Kieran-Lilith

I know probably few will really even care about this, but oh well. My friends, the green belt boy who has yet to join this site and Atalanta, have been given a compromise by our sensei so we can still come to the dojo and also not have our band director attempt to kill us. Our karate classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Our band after-school practice is on Tuesdays, at the same time as our karate class. Our sensei also teaches and aikido class on Wednesday. He has decided that since he doesn't want to lose us for 3 months, he will allow us to come on Wednesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays, we will all become white belts and we'll learn aikido. On Thursdays, we'll have our usual karate class. So finally, a compromise between karate and band.

Thank you for listening to this senseless ramble.

-Kieran

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To give you an idea of how happy we were, we really did come jumping and screaming out of the dojo (yes, I know. really undignified.) All three of us love karate, but band... it demanded we be there so much. Participating in the normal classes would have been out of the question due to scheduling conflicts. Wow, three full months of Aikido... I can't wait. We shall all be white belts and none of us should rank over the other (this comes from the lowest ranking of the three, you would think I cared more).

Needless to say, I am rather pleased with this compromise. *does disco dance* Thanx for your time.

Can't we all just get along?!

I learn to fight so I don't have to.

You all should see about continuing the compromise after three months. That would be the best. Congratulations on your negotiating Sensei.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Sounds like a great deal! Enjoy Aikido - I loved my time in Aikdio - and it would suit your karate training well.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I know probably few will really even care about this, but oh well...

-Kieran

Not at all senseless. Its a challenge to do multiple things you love, but very satisfying. I don't like people without ambition. People who want to work at old stuff + try new stuff are ok with me.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! I had this same problem in high school. I marched as center snare for three years and kept training. Deff. do not quit either, or take a break. I was able to keep training, march with my high school band and march a couple summers with the Seattle Cascades Drum Corp (DCI) and still recieve my 3rd degree by the end of my Sr. year. It works, and makes for a well rounded person. I do miss band. Watch the grades, that was my soft spot.

We think it shall, but it doesn't start until this coming month. Stupid band...

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu