• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is kumite more important in western karate than kata?

Monkeymagic

Which is more important to you?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important to you?

• Kumite
    • Kata

I am trying to understand how the transition of karate to the west has involved and pushed kumite to the forefront, rather than kata.

I know there are been previous polls but this poll will help me with my research.

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the application and control you get from kata, but I personally get more out of a charge in kumite as i like the physical contact.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Westerners do not understand that the point of martial arts is NONviolence. They just want to learn how to fight well, and unfortunately many dojo augment this emphasis and attitude.

Kata should always come first - without kata, how can one ever hope to execute a proper technique?

Jason B.

Hendersonville, NC

"I'm not really eccentric... I'm not eccentric unless that means 'crazy', which I am, probably." - Kyoshi Doug Perry

I understand the importance of kata, and practice it more than kumite, but I enjoy doing kumite far more than anything else. I enjoy the spirit training in kumite. The test of endurance, stamina, and especially the technical aspects of it. Nothing is better in my book than hard hitting iri kumi training.

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

Even if I like very much Katas and their bunkai and I understand their importance. But at the end, MA is a fighting discipline and free-sparring (even with control) is closer to an actual fighting situation.