• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Style For An Old Guy

Rocky1

I'm 58, and was involved with gojo-ryu karate for five years in the 70's. Also a little judo and aikido.

I'd like to get back into karate, but some arthritis and the passage of time make me wonder if I can really do the punces and kicks of my youth. Other than something like tai chi, is there a "soft form" of karate that I could study that wouldn't be so hard on the joints?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check around in your area, meet with the Instructors and tell them what you're looking for. Some will adapt their methods to your restrictions, others may be able to direct you to a school that can/will. It's hard to say which style is the least stressful on the joints, as they all are to a point. Let us know what you decide on.

A soft style of karate? Taint no such critter is there? :lol:

Shorin Ryu has many softer techniques that rely on body movment and aren't hard on the joints. Kicks are lower, and if you find a good instructor, he very well will teach you and give allowances to any disabilities that you might have. Heck, I'm 52, classified by the state as 44% disabled, and that's not counting my back and knees from doing stupid things in my youth, and I do OK in Shorin Ryu.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I think that with some caution (from you and from the instructor) you can resume your Goju ryu training, I'm 44 myself, I'm pretty healthy I train without any restriction I 'm also attending the competitor sparring class. (although I do not compete).

You can probably do just about any style you want, as long as you have an instructor that understands and won't force you to do things your body might not be capable of.

We had an 83 y/o guy get his BB a year or two ago at one of our styles schools (ATA TKD).

Most styles that strike with a closed fist are termed "hard" styles, and the open hand styles are the "soft" styles (In general).

I know a lot of people swear by Tai Chi, you might be able to try that until you get your body limber and used to training again, then branch out and add another "hard" art.

Try em all, see what you like!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

As Aodhan said..u can probably do any style! 83..now that's impressive..the oldest we have in our organization is probably a 73 y/o 3rd dan!!

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

I think you can do almost any style you want. The trick is to spend more time with a trainer in the gym before joining a dojo, if you've been out of shape for some time. Pay attention to your joints and heart. Lose weight if you have a gut. Build some muscle mass around your knees. Improve your flexibility. Improve your muscle tone. You'll also want the approval of your own physician.

You might want to consider kendo, iado, or kyudo. Kendo gives you a good aerobic work out. In Kendo you're all armored up so you won't get hurt when you "fight." There's no contact in iai. It's all zen and sword waving. Kyudo is basically archery-again old-guy friendly.

I do Kyoukushin karate with some guys in their 50's. They're not as spry as the young folk in the dojo, but they're tough guys with a lot of heart.

I think you can do almost any style you want. The trick is to spend more time with a trainer in the gym before joining a dojo, if you've been out of shape for some time. Pay attention to your joints and heart. Lose weight if you have a gut. Build some muscle mass around your knees. Improve your flexibility. Improve your muscle tone. You'll also want the approval of your own physician.

You might want to consider kendo, iado, or kyudo. Kendo gives you a good aerobic work out. In Kendo you're all armored up so you won't get hurt when you "fight." There's no contact in iai. It's all zen and sword waving. Kyudo is basically archery-again old-guy friendly.

I do Kyoukushin karate with some guys in their 50's. They're not as spry as the young folk in the dojo, but they're tough guys with a lot of heart.

agreed

~ You first mistake is to underestimate ~