• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

im new here and to karate

karateka477

grettings i have just finished my second week of karate and i have enjoyed every second of it. i was wondering any tips that any of the seasoned practioners can give me relating to beggining karate. my sensei's tell me i am pickin up the stuff very quickly. so yeah i feel this is because of past experience in the martial arts but not karate. i hope to make good friends here. thank u :karate:

PS: how many other white belts are there here.

shorei kai=graceful flowing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm glad you are enjoying your lessons. Karate is really fun when you first start, and it just keeps getting better the longer you train and the more you understand.

The one thing I see, especially in fast learning beginning students, is the tendency not to practice and to assume they are performing every technique perfectly. I can point to Black Belts who have trained for half a decade or more who practice their lower belt stuff everyday, claiming its still not flawless. Find an instructor who will take one or two techniques and really break them down with you, and nit pick at every little detail. Then, once you know what that technique should feel like, practice it at home until you can perform it well without thinking about it. This is what I did and it worked great for me.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

Despite having graded I always train in a white belt and I wish to keep it that way until shodan if I am allowed.

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

Despite having graded I always train in a white belt and I wish to keep it that way until shodan if I am allowed.

regards maki

Thats the way it should be. Good for you Maki, hopefully your sensei will allow it.

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

Good luck karateka477. Keep training. Don't worry about other belts and when you are going to grade. It is important to know your moves and kata well, especially the basics as everyone says.

:wave:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

And practise at home lots then when you go to class you can learn. Sadly too many people dont do this and go to class to practise.

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

There is some great advice here, karateka477. I have been an instructor for 3 years and like these people are saying: practice and don't try to go too fast. Make your goal mastering your material, rather than trying to get the next rank. In mastering your material, you will achieve rank and be a better all-around martial artist.

I see too many people trying to "walk through" the motions rather than grasping them. It is the students that want the knowledge and perfection in their forms, combinations, health and honor that seem to achieve the most. These are the students that stay with the system.

I wish you great fortune in your training. Train hard and learn.

Fu sheng wu lian tianzun

2nd Dan - Shaolin Kempo

Drunken Master's Classic Kung Fu Theater | DojoZen.com

Hey Karateka :-)....welcome to the forum.....theres a lot of people here who can provide you with a vast array of knowledge and many many years of experience....take advantage of that and ask as many questions as you can....again...welcome to the forum and the world of martial arts....train hard ! :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"