• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone here wear them? I do, dunno why but i just feel i can do better kicks in them. Also when you go to tournaments are you allowed to wear them? We are not and it seems a bit unfair to me.

- Hogosha

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I use them because I have foot problems. Personally I think they make spinning kicks harder due to the increased friction, they are practically unusable in schools where they have installed those crappy sponge like interlocking mats, but they are good for practicing what it would be like to fight on the street. The reason they are not allowed in competition is that they are too hard on the mats and the opponents. Take the Arnold martial arts festival...they had 12000 competitors...that many people spinning and stuff with shoes on would have torn the carpets and mats to smithereens. Also shoes have sharp edges. Even the thin MA shoes. So certain kicks would have a much bigger effect on people that hit with them than a bare foot would.

Long Live the Fighters!

I wear shoes sometimes if im teaching the kids class cos the gym is so cold and i dont move around that much when teaching the kids.... but only sometimes.

I have a pair of TKD shoes and I do like them when I am training at home with the heavy bag. In class I wear them ONLY when I am going to be practicing my form. When testing and sparring I do not wear them. During competition we are not permitted to wear them. As for breaking, it is harder to break with them on because the soft soul is MORE work for you to break as it absorbs the energy of a kick. I guess my friend said it best. A bare foot with blisters and such really builds up character.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

I do not like my students to wear shoes for kicking practice until they have learned proper foot shape, as some shoes affect the flexibility of the ankle and toes. They also keep them from learning to use the muscles in the foot/toes to adjust their balance and grip the floor. I do, however, think that occasional training in shoes is good practice for those same reasons. Afterall they won't have time to take of their shoes when someone attacks them on the street. :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I do not like my students to wear shoes for kicking practice until they have learned proper foot shape, as some shoes affect the flexibility of the ankle and toes. They also keep them from learning to use the muscles in the foot/toes to adjust their balance and grip the floor. I do, however, think that occasional training in shoes is good practice for those same reasons. Afterall they won't have time to take of their shoes when someone attacks them on the street. :)

8)

I hardly ever wear them. Going barefoot will give you better balance and form, and you will eventually build up calluses at friction points anyway.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I wore ballet/jazz shoes for a few outdoor demonstrations we did, because our instructor told us to wear shoes, and they were really light. Otherwise, I like to be barefoot...feels more "hands on", if that makes any sense... :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I wear a pair of Discipline MA shoes. Lightweight, tough construction and lots of support to the outside of the foot. Good shoe.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

also like was mentioned no shoes promotes better foot shape and conditioning... most people find when they first start trianing or when they boost their training to more lessons a week they start getting blister and then calloses.... its a good thing...

Its also helps when you come to do destruction which happens in a lot of TKD styles.

I have a foot problem and have been wearing shoes the last couple of years. We work out on hardwood floors. If it was padded I don't think I would have to wear them. They stick to the floor for turning kicks, so I have to be careful not to twist my knee. They also seem to mess with my balance. I had surgery this week to correct the foot problem. Hopefully in a few months I can quit wearing the shoes.

Mine are Mooto. I tried several different ones. Mooto seemed to provide the most support while still being light and the best on the hardwood floor.